InTerceptoV
MentalMan

portfolio
Toni Bratincevic
Irvine,

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockinAkin
Yes, very! But I think I've got it!
So 'Min Samples' is better thought of as 'Adaptive Min Samples' (as it is actually labeled in Maya, but not in 3ds Max).

So using your example:
If after the DMC subdivision formula we're left with 100 max secondary samples, and adaptiveness is set to 1.0, this results in 0 fixed samples - which is lower than the default Min Samples value of 8, so Min Samples takes effect and fires 8 samples before the remaining 92 samples are fired one by one to meet the noise threshold.

If with those same 100 max secondary samples adaptiveness is set to 0.5, this results in 50 fixed samples, which is larger than the default Min Samples value of 8, so Min Samples has no effect, and the remaining 50 samples are fired one by one to meet the noise threshold.

But in a case when the max secondary samples is very low, it sets the ceiling for number of adaptive samples to be taken, and the Min samples value has no effect.

This is correct, you got it. I will probably release V2 of that same tutorial sometime this year, and maybe we can include your calculator with it, with proper copyrights etc.

Old 03-26-2013, 03:06 AM   #17
RockinAkin
DivideByZero

portfolio
Akin Bilgic
Modeler / Generalist TD
USA

Awesome, thanks very much for sharing your knowledge - and yes, feel free to link to the calculator in your updated article. I've just updated it's formula to take into account everything we went over in this thread.

Thanks again Toni!

AKIN BILGIC
Modeler / Generalist TD
CGGallery.com

Old 06-15-2013, 11:53 PM   #18
MisterS
seeking knowledge

portfolio
David Spittle
Civil Design Drafter
Brisbane, Australia

Some great info here - and an interesting read. I'm trying to understand the adaptive DMC and sampler tab but am finding it a bit of a headfk tbh.

Say you're used to mr. And a 100% reflective teapot with 0.9 gloss used to give good results using say 1, 16 AA and 32 reflective samples in the shader.

would similar vray settings be:

1,4 AA with 22 reflection subdivs in material shader, DMC sampler adaptive amount 0.85? With the vray settings providing significantly less samples in lower subdiv areas unless the minimum samples are increased globally or by adjusting threshold?

Not saying the latter is a bad thing - just trying to get my head around it.

Old 06-15-2013, 11:53 PM   #19
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread