Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 04-16-2013, 02:07 PM   #1
teamei
portfolio
Tracey Mei
USA

Modeling a Spiral Platform

Hello everyone!

I recently joined a team of people who are going to be using a 3D printer to create sculptures for a 3D Zoetrope. All is going well, and we decided to go with 2 types of platforms for our zoetrope: 1) Cake layer style (small cylinders on top of larger flat cylinder), and 2) Spiral platform style.

For both of these styles, we are going to first model the prototypes in Maya and while the cake style is rather simple, the SPIRAL platform is giving us a hard time! The helix is great as a reference, but we need the spiral to converge toward the center and not scale smaller. The non-linear flare helped us out visually, but it still scales the top of the spiral to become smaller. Anyway, my team was writing out equations and such discussing how to measure a helix and I just have no idea what I can do. Last resort, I will probably try to eyeball it (which is kind of inefficient and impossible..) Any help would be much appreciated!!! Thanks.

Example spiral platform (What we want is for the platform to be smoothed all the way around with no steps or protruding pieces though. This example is just kind of a visual that was closest to what I'm talking about.)
http://sketchup.google.com/3dwareho...02c4063c0998fa0

Example 3D Zoetrope:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5khDGKGv088

- Tmei.

Old 04-16-2013, 02:07 PM   #2
CGTalk Moderation
Expert
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread