CGTalk > Software > Autodesk Maya > Maya Rendering
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  
Old 03-14-2013, 07:53 PM   #1
Boston, USA
Linear Workflow in Maya Users Guide

After digging through many tutorials and posts covering LWF, I grasp the reasoning if not all the various different methods. Going back to basics, the Color managed linear workflow section in the Maya User Guide seems like a good approach, but still leaves me with questions.

- I'm using Physical Sun and Sky, so I need to delete the lens shader as directed under other important notes on that page. Is changing the multiplier (under mia_physicalsky1) to .2 also correct? This was not noted on the Maya User Guide page, but on a separate tutorial I watched. It seems to correct the blown out image I'd otherwise have.

- The page also notes the linear image must be color corrected for final display, which is a bit vague, and bringing my test .iff into Shake shows a far more saturated image than the sRGB (gamma-corrected) image in the Render View panel. I added a gamma correct node, setting of 1.2, which looks alright but is it correct? After all the steps followed to make it correct, I want to make sure the final step also is correct.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by jigen08 : 03-14-2013 at 07:56 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 03-15-2013, 01:19 AM   #2
Panupat Chong
1. There are many ways you can do to get the right exposure and I don't think there's any right or wrong way. Lower the sun's intensity, and if you use physical camera, lower shutter speed, increase f-stop, etc., you can do them all as you see fit.

2. If you output a 16+ bit images, most compositing software will assume it's in linear color space and apply gamma 1.8/2.2 to it by default in their display view.

Last edited by Panupat : 03-15-2013 at 01:38 AM.
Old 03-18-2013, 07:12 AM   #3
Also Highly Corrosive
David Fer Real
Fixer of things
Remember that's 16-half images are usually correctly interpreted as float

16-bit is not float, just better precision than 8-bit
My opinions are always my own...and maybe a friend's, but never my employer's.
Old 03-18-2013, 10:45 AM   #4
Lord of the posts
Libor Batek
freelance cg artist
Freelance 3d artist
Praha, Czech Republic
Send a message via ICQ to Libor
in Maya 2013:

1) set color management on
2)set input to sRGB and output to Linear
3)Be sure to check framebuffer (renderView>Display) that its 32bits float mode and Color management set to input:Linear display : sRGB

4)Output in exr format

5) use Nuke for compositing /viewing (by default its full linear workflow friendly so it shows exr in sRGB lookup at default) In other words no need to worry about LWF at all !

Your image in renderview should match your rendered exr seen in Nuke viewport by default!

Regarding sun and sky....

Yes you need to get rid of the mia_exposure shader and tune intensity to some reasonable values so it looks fine in RenderView using this approach. Whats also reason for this that all the passes will work cos they arent corrected by any lens shaders like mia_exposure.

This works like charm! And is easy.

P.S. The rule of thumb is....decided the output format (linear or sRGB) and set correctly Color Management in globals and in renderView so they match! For ie. when one wants to output to 8bit tiff. Set it in Global settings to Input:sRGB Output sRGB and in RenderView also like that Input sRGB display sRGB) You just have to think whats going into the RenderView so you dont apply gamma correction twice on the image...
Old 03-18-2013, 10:45 AM   #5
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.
CGTalk Policy/Legalities
Note that as CGTalk Members, you agree to the terms and conditions of using this website.
Thread Closed share thread