Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 12-08-2012, 11:35 AM   #1
JoachimBouvie
portfolio
Joachim Bouvie
Brussels, Belgium

Vfx demoreel tendencies

Perhaps something of a strange question but I was wondering on composing a vfx reel, in the large spectrum of possible effects to choose from, in order to appeal to the Vfx houses which effects are popular today and what to avoid putting in a Vfx demoreel as it has been done to death or is considerd to much 'deja vue' and doesn't appeal to possible recruiters. I have been studying Vfx for some time now and know that any effect if executed with care and attention to detail has its obivious merrit but i can't shrug of the feeling that in the choice of the Fx there are tendecies and in order to catch the attention one has to create content that is new and fresh so a new angle on Vfx seems preferable.

Old 12-08-2012, 08:56 PM   #2
mr Bob
CG Sup
Mars
USA

I really do think you are reading way to much into the role. As a junior because that's the only role your going to get with no experience. I would expect to see all the usual effects plus skills that show some ability in

Shader skills
Basic Comp skills
Innovation with a out of the box tool set
Completed tools
Programming skills

With so many people around now companies are looking for the best and brightest. What have you done so far , post up your reel.

B

Old 12-08-2012, 11:55 PM   #3
JoachimBouvie
portfolio
Joachim Bouvie
Brussels, Belgium

what do you mean by 'completed tool' exactly, the thing is if I should say complete a couple of advanced tutorials which include shader skills, basic comp skills, innovation with a out of the box tool set and includes some programming skills how would that give me a chance next to the best and the brightest. Isn't continual growth through self study and succesfull creative combination of the tools something a recruiter should be on the lookout for in an vfx artist ?

Old 12-09-2012, 12:33 AM   #4
mr Bob
CG Sup
Mars
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoachimBouvie
what do you mean by 'completed tool' exactly, . Isn't continual growth through self study and succesfull creative combination of the tools something a recruiter should be on the lookout for in an vfx artist ?

Completed tool , means a tool wrapped up for others to use , ie pipe in a rock and you tool fractures it or add your tool to a grid and emit rain while controlling it via some parameters.

Quote:
the thing is if I should say complete a couple of advanced tutorials which include shader skills, basic comp skills, innovation with a out of the box tool set and includes some programming skills how would that give me a chance next to the best and the brightest

No its the skills supervisors want to see, fx guys design the shaders for the effects often or not and then comp the results to show in dailies to prove it works. Programming skills and a rock solid understanding of expressions are a must, Ive not made a tool set yet or a tool that does X effect without some expressions > maths or python involved. The point is you are trying to show extra skills that make you stand out. Just because you can watch a video and parrot an effect does not make you useful at the coal face. Its aving the abilty to understand a problem, adapt and learn. There is not a tutorial video for every problem you need to solve.

Quote:
Isn't continual growth through self study and succesfull creative combination of the tools something a recruiter should be on the lookout for in an vfx artist ?

No, your being hired to do a job and all the supervisor cares about is can you do it and fit in well with the team. Then its up to you to prove yourself.

Last edited by mr Bob : 12-09-2012 at 12:36 AM.

Old 12-10-2012, 03:55 PM   #5
th3ta
Veteran

portfolio
3d Artist
In a dark office, USA

I'd focus on the stuff you'd be doing as a junior. Have some shots of perfect roto, invisible effects like clean plate creation, set extenstion. Variety of roto will help, rigid, slow moving objects. Maybe a shot of hair or cloth where you have to paint frame by frame on some stuff. Show some variety of greenscreen extraction. Shoot some actors outside and roto them out, extend the ground they're on, remove buildings in the background, extend or modify some existing buildings, add some cg to place them in a certain time period, etc... those types of skills are extremely useful on all kinds of productions.

There are loads of ways to be creative and show some interesting things. Main point is to be creative with your idea, and execute it flawlessly. Don't try to do too much, just tasks that you can handle and make look like you would see it in a hollywood film.

Old 12-10-2012, 04:20 PM   #6
b1m2x3

HamHands
Some guy working somewhere on some movie.
USA

Whatever you do, don't do krakatoa particles.

Pretty much avoid canned plugin effects. Try to make a shot.

Oh yeah - No wine glasses filling with wine unless it was done for a specific commercial/production.

Last edited by b1m2x3 : 12-10-2012 at 04:36 PM.

Old 12-10-2012, 04:20 PM   #7
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread