Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 12-10-2009, 01:37 AM   #16
Sphinxthelion
Frequenter

portfolio
James Cargill
san diego, USA

(((((DELETED))))))

Last edited by Sphinxthelion : 12-14-2009 at 04:33 AM.

Old 12-10-2009, 10:04 PM   #17
PerryDS
Everything Creative

portfolio
Perry Shulak
Contractor, self-employed
Critical Fusion Inc
Edmonton, Canada

Send a message via MSN to PerryDS
It's like any other industry, if you are good at what you do, then you will excel. If you are not so good, then it may not be as lucrative. Most people I know who are in the industry do well enough, and have incomes above the national average.

But it's not an industry for those who expect to live life easy, without expecting to put the time and effort in to get ahead.

Old 12-11-2009, 02:54 AM   #18
tide78
computer user

portfolio
zach mandt
digital matte / environment artist
Los Angeles, USA

Send a message via AIM to tide78 Send a message via MSN to tide78
Hey man, I think if you want to pursue Graphic Design as a career, go for it, Take the good advice here, not that of someone who has obviously made a bit of a mess with their decisions and is looking for an axe to grind.... It does in fact come down to what you put into it. I graduated from an AI, and our resources there were almost non-existant. Same one as the guy poo pooing them in fact... I went for Visual Effects, and our poor instructors had the program thrust upon them, I wasn't really wise to it all until after the fact, but here's the truth of the matter.

I am gainfully employed making more than 12 an hour... much more, not that it's too much of a big deal because I love my job and love what I do. I know plenty of graphic designers that do good work and make a good living. It all comes down to what you want to put into it. Plug yourself into the pulse of what's going on in graphic design. It will be beneficial to find a school with the best instructors no doubt, as they can help you to grow as an artist and a professional.

The worst thing you can do is go into a school such as AI or anywhere for that matter and expect to have everything dropped on you like you have the attitude where you paid for this so why can't you make money.... So I wouldn't say absolutely don't go to an AI, because the AI you are thinking of attending may be equipped with an excellent graphic design instructor. I'm sure you've read through all the posts here, there's some good advice, and becoming an electrician is not it, unless you're an inexperienced graphic designer with no will to learn or get better.

Good luck to you man, do plenty of research when looking into a school, It comes down to you, and you alone, but it's good to have knowledgeable staff there to help you along in the process, I wished that the graphic design instructors at my AI could have spent more time with me.... Those guys ruled.

Old 12-11-2009, 03:56 AM   #19
Mephistoph

portfolio
Duncan York
Freelance artist
Edina, USA

It's a tool.

Seriously. Like many others have said. All careers take dedication, skill and passion to succeed. Those that lack all of the above better learn "Would you like fries with that?" School is a tool, just like software. It's what you you do with.

Old 12-11-2009, 05:57 PM   #20
minimoose82
Caitlin Wilson
Graphics Artist/Animator/Content Developer
GTECH
Rosemount, USA

Send a message via AIM to minimoose82
Smile I liked AI

It's as simple as this: you get out of it what you put in. As long as you work hard, take critique well, and strive to improve and succeed you'll be fine, dear. I enjoyed my time at AI and hope that if you decide to go there, you'll have as much fun and learn as much as I did.

Cheers!

Flash Content Developer & Graphics Artist
GTECH Corporation

Old 12-11-2009, 09:08 PM   #21
fig
designer of stuff...
Chris F
graphic/interactive designer/aspiring animator
Houston, USA

Send a message via AIM to fig
Zach, good stuff man, you've got some great work too.

The thing with any sort of creative field (graphic design, visual effects, photography, motion design, animation, etc.) is that it can't be something you just "do". One thing I ran across with some friends who went to tAI is that a lot of their classmates went because it sounded neat, daddy was paying for school and they said "I think being an animator would be fun, I'll go do that" and that just doesn't work.

You're a creative because that's what you are, because you have a desire to create and let this artistic part of you out, because crunching numbers all day at a desk would make you miserable. That doesn't mean you had to have been an artist since birth or went to art school, but somewhere along the way you realized that you look at the world in a different way. There's lots of people who started off doing design or 3d as a hobby only to discover they love it and turned it into a career. On the flipside I've worked with a few people who are paid to be designers but they don't love it and that totally shows in their work. You can be a bored accountant or plumber and still be effective at your job, an artist or designer with no passion isn't good at what they do.

If I were an electrician I'd still come home at night and sketch things and listen to director's commentaries on my favorite movies and be amazed at what Pixar does and love looking at art and photography. So why not get paid for it?

Old 02-12-2010, 03:34 AM   #22
ColMustardseed
portfolio
Jessica
Melbourne, United States Minor Outlying Islands

Thank you guys really I feel much better about my choice, and it's nice to know people can give me real answers instead of hating on everything because it didn't work out for them.Truthfully as long as AI helps me get a nice portfolio and helps me get my foot in the door by getting me a job and some knowledge on the design world, I feel it will have done its job enough.My only worry is if the stories are true about refusing to even look at AI students is true, well then I could have a problem, but hopefully I wont have to deal with that. thank you all for your comments

Old 02-12-2010, 03:34 AM   #23
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread