To the new people reading this...
Tell us a bit about yourself.
Guys don't forget to post your favorite pieces here::
END OF THE MONTH GALLERY: June - 2014- Post your Artwork

NOTE: I am re-posting the topics on TWITTER:
https://twitter.com/RobertoOrtiz_CG

ANYONE CAN POST
"The Blue Dog"
* You have 50 m for your your sketch. IF you go beyond the assigned time limit , it is Ok.
* You may post a drawing at ANY TIME.
* ou may Sketch in ANY MEDIUM, digital or traditional.
* You may also re-post a copy of your finished drawing a this forum:
Member SKETCH Collection
* Post only your FINAL piece on this thread, based on the topic on the thread.
* Only final pieces can be posted on the thread.
* They must have been done AFTER the topic has been announced.

NOTE: The forum WILL RESIZE your image. but you may post a direct link to a high resolution version of your drawing
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Old 06-25-2014, 03:18 PM   #2
LineDetail
Line

portfolio
Mark Cansino
Creative Entertainment Orchestrator CEO
The LineDetail Drawing Co.
Merrick,

Send a message via AIM to LineDetail
Talking Captain Blue Dog

Here's the sketch I made last night on the train ride home.

Thought of a life on the sea as Captain Blue Dog

-Line

Old 06-25-2014, 07:59 PM   #3
nucron
Veteran

portfolio
S T
Cincinnati, USA

here we go, I'll give a critique:

@LineDetail:
nice cartoon sketch! you really created an interesting character here. from a technical standpoint, I particularly like the way you handled your line work, especially in the face. I know that time constraints probably prevented you from doing this, but it would have been cool to see more of that expressive line shading used in other areas such as around the curvature at the edges of of the hat and collar. actually, speaking of the hat, I feel like this guy's headgear is a little too small to be a captain, haha. but that's a stylistic choice, so no worries. another small suggestions I have might be to make the colors more saturated. you have good use of contrasting colors, but things seem a little "faded" to my eye. again, maybe that's what you were going for, so no big deal. anyway, this is nice work for a quick train ride sketch. just giving my two cents, but don't take anything I'm saying to seriously. keep it up!

Old 06-25-2014, 08:02 PM   #4
nucron
Veteran

portfolio
S T
Cincinnati, USA

here's my shot at this topic...

~1 hr. 20 min., MS Paint

Old 06-30-2014, 07:00 PM   #5
Sazem
Lord of the posts

Sampo Pesonen
Finland

Send a message via MSN to Sazem
Nucron, I like the abstract sketch you made.. really nice one

Old 07-01-2014, 09:22 AM   #6
Myridiphis
Frequenter

portfolio
Pavel Zak
iOS developer
Brno, Czech Republic

Nice entries everyone!

I especially like nucron piece, it could easily be some music album cover

Mine was really quick sketch, about 20mins before bedtime.

My GoT themed blog

Old 07-04-2014, 10:49 AM   #7
nucron
Veteran

portfolio
S T
Cincinnati, USA

Sazem, Myridiphis -- nice work! and thank you for your comments. I had been meaning to give you guys some feedback, so here we go:

@Sazem:
I'm curious as to what the story is with this little guy. did he accidentally dip his face into some blue paint or powder? this is a cute dog, but the more I look at him, the more I start to think there is more going on. I mean, look at those eyes--this dog has clearly seen some things, haha. I do think the picture is rather successful in that the dog has an expression that gives it a sense of life and character. you get the impression that there is intelligence and perhaps curiosity (or concern?) behind that gaze. as for things to work on, I think there may be a few anatomical issues that could get some attention. like the transition from the shoulders to paws and what should be the limbs in between seems a little overly-abbreviated. also the brow ridge connecting the nose to the ears seems a tad too defined. beyond that, I would focus on really working on laying out the light and dark areas of the painting before going back in and adding details so that textures like in the fur will follow the lighting. actually, speaking of that, this painting reminds me a bit of a speed-paint time-lapse I once saw on YouTube (close-up of animal face with detailed fur). if you're interested, maybe you can check it out to get some tips: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SR5SlmvDVOY. but, anyway, nice work overall. like I said, you really captured the dog's expression. keep it up!

@Myridiphis:
this is a cool idea and I like the overall tone of this piece. the way you've incorporated the symbol is a nice, efficient way to bring in some backstory. I can picture in my my mind this elite medieval cavalry unit called the "blue dogs"--or perhaps this knight is fighting for a kingdom that uses the blue dog as its ensign. actually, now that I'm looking at the symbol and how it sits on the shield, I am reminded a bit of the insignia for the Diamond Dogs unit in the upcoming Metal Gear Solid video game. anyway, back on topic--one thing I think you did well here is maintain consistency in the brushwork and color palette. also the materials are rendered well--the metals look shiny and reflective and the sheen of the horse's fur is implied. I also like the design of the knight's helmet. for a quick twenty minute sketch this is all quite good. but if I had to suggest something to improve, my biggest issue with the painting would probably come down to the proportions. as it stands, the knight looks like he is really tiny (or maybe the horse is huge!). he seems to be riding up too close to the horse's neck and his torso and legs both need to be longer. this might be a slight exaggeration, but I think he really ought to be at least 50% taller to match the size of the horse. also the lance seems very thick and I'm not really clear on how he's holding it. there's maybe a few other details you could play with, but these are the only major issues I am seeing. I think the composition and such are working and the mood is conveyed effectively. keep at it!

Old 07-07-2014, 12:26 PM   #8
Myridiphis
Frequenter

portfolio
Pavel Zak
iOS developer
Brno, Czech Republic

Nucron, once again I am delighted, how extensive your feedback is.

Yes you are right about proportions, I did this without any reference. Actually, when I painted this, the horse was much smaller And I had the feeling that something is not right so I scaled him a bit up, but probably too much

My GoT themed blog

reply share thread