Wings 3D questions

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

09 September 2010
Wings 3D questions

All right, I've become a fan of Wings 3D for creating really simple models. I like the interface and I like working with it.
I really like how the simple render-er looks, and I like the whole vertex color system. However, there's no real way to export your models so that other software will retain those vertex color assignments. I'm not even sure other software uses a vertex color system like that. Is there software (or an export format) that holds on to vertex colors? Or is there another piece of software that allows you to work in that same way?

I'm trying to make animation (*cough* like David O'Reilly, and the odds of "Xdugef DesuDesuDesu" being a real piece of software is pretty low), and Wings 3D's basic rendering and vertex color "gradients" look almost exactly like his stuff. However, Wings 3D is NOT an animation suite (duh). Beyond trying to copy him, I've always just liked the look of it, it just took his stuff to make it seem legit.

I like how if two edges of a face have different color assignments, then they make a gradient.

The picture on this page seems to have the look i'm trying to achieve:
http://www.theexternalworld.com/

His Please Say Something short also has a lot of that look.

I would like to make 3D stuff that doesn't rely on light-sources when rendering. The only sense of depth would come from the gradients on the faces of the models. Does that make sense? I'm also interested in disposing textures altogether, using assigned vertex colors.

See, most 3D software I've seen (I'm not really savvy yet) lets you design textures, but that's for an entire object, and not single faces or edges.

Like I said, I'm not savvy, this could be some simple knowledge that i'm not privy to.

Even if I could create my models in Wings 3D and bring them into some other software (blender even) I could just rig them, animate them and render. What software can I do that with, and they will look JUST like they looked in Wings 3D? (I have brought them into blender before and they lose all their color).

Also, one more quick Wings 3D question: How do you simply subdivide a surface? Like turning a square face into 4 square faces? I haven't found a built in command to do this, I can tessellate it or smooth it, but that never gives me that kind of simple subdivision.

Thanks a million.
Alex.

09 September 2010
Vertex color should be exported in the .vrml format to transfer this information into other programs. Other formats like .3ds will not transfer this information. I have taken vertex info from wings into 3dsmax, so I know it's possible, but I can't look at it right now. Perhaps if you continue to have trouble I can run a test later for you.

About your subdivision question,... do you want to subdivide just a single face? If you want the tessellation without changing the mesh, you can use smooth, but you need to select the edges and change their hardness to "hard" For example, if you create a cube, then select all edges and change them to hard. Now select the faces and do a smooth. It will add faces, but will stay a cube. Now try setting some edges back to soft and try again,... now those edges will be allowed to round, while others remain hard.

Hope that helps some.

Edit: just ran a test and it doesn't appear the .obj was saving this info. The .vrml format does though, so I changed the paragraph above to reflect that.

Last edited by Pongo : 09 September 2010 at 09:57 PM.

10 October 2010
Now, what animation software can I import that into?

10 October 2010
I exported it as a VRML 2.0 file, then I imported it into blender and it lost all of it's color.

I COULD do the whole thing in blender, but I can't stand the way you move in blender or the way you paint the vertexes. Wings 3D moves really nicely. It's easy to rotate the camera around the object and you can just select a face and choose it's color. Is there any other software that is similar to wings? I have never tried Maya or any professional 3D suite. What would you suggest for what I'm trying to do?

1) I want to easily edit the color of individual vertexes (faces, edges, and vertices). Painting is nice, but I want to be able to select a face (or edge or point) and change it's color. (just like in Wings 3D).

2) I want to be able to turn OFF lighting, and the faces will just be the color I set them to (and not lighter or darker relative to light).

3) If 2 opposing edges of a face have different colors, the color should "gradient" between

Also, on a minor note, it would be nice to turn anti-aliasing OFF for the final render, but I assume that's in almost every piece of software anyway.

I mean you might laugh at how simple it is to do some of this stuff, but it's unconventional so nobody really covers it. I just want to know if for instance Maya can do all these things and if Maya also has really easy sub-division modeling like Wings 3D.

10 October 2010
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread