Old 06-11-2013, 03:31 PM   #1
Mike Truly
Expert
Mike Truly
Truly Media
Crested Butte, CO, USA

Switch Back to Default Lights?

MAX2014

Let's say you have a scene setup with standard lights and everything is fabulous. But you want to go and model some more objects and all the existing scene lights use Include lists to light the various objects of the scene.

You model some new objects but when you go to do a test render... the new objects are totally black because they are not lit by any lights because they are not on the Include list of any of the lights. Obviously, you can add the objects to the Include list of the lights and they will render. But this is a pain depending on how many objects you want to add to how many light Include lists.

Would be nice to be able to quickly revert back to default lights for a bit. Is there any tool that will do this?

(Obviously, I could delete all scene lights and default lighting would be activated again. But I want to retain my scene lights and just use default lights for awhile then revert back to scene lights later.)

Thanks!

Mike Truly
-----------------------
Truly Media
www.trulymedia.com

Old 06-11-2013, 10:34 PM   #2
PiXeL_MoNKeY
Expert

Eric Craft
Dallas, USA

You can always add Default Lights to the scene and just turn on/off the lights you want. There is no way that I know of to enforce the usage of default lighting with the renderers that ship with 3ds max.

-Eric

Old 06-12-2013, 12:20 PM   #3
robinb
Expert

Could you do a scene state with all the lights turned off? Would that make the default show up in the render? Or does it allow deleting objects? Not really used scene states but it sounds like this is the sort of thing they're for.

Old 06-12-2013, 01:38 PM   #4
DanHibiki
Expert

portfolio
- -
Senior 3d Animator
Invivo communications
Richmond Hill, Canada

if you're just modeling then you can switch the viewport to default lights. it's under "Realistic" Lights and Shadows.

Old 06-12-2013, 02:28 PM   #5
Mike Truly
Expert
Mike Truly
Truly Media
Crested Butte, CO, USA

Thanks for all the ideas!

I should have mentioned that in this situation, it's not only modeling but assigning material IDs and rendering scanline to test those matID assignments (and also some adjusting of those materials) that I'm talking about. Such as if I'm building a complex machine but assigning multi-sub materials and matIDs as I go to avoid having to go back later and deal with the material aspect on a complex model.

Ideally, it would be great if there was the possibility to have a simple checkbox to use default lights or scene lights... as with the Nitrous>Realistic>Lights choice... which is great for the realtime realm.

State Sets may do this. I haven't tested yet and haven't really used State Sets.

But this triggers another solution which is to use RPM to do this since I already use RPM heavily. I already setup a 'modeling pass' in RPM and can simply set the scene lights in that pass to OFF, which should then render with default lights.

Thanks again.

Mike Truly
-----------------------
Truly Media
www.trulymedia.com

Old 06-12-2013, 04:08 PM   #6
PiXeL_MoNKeY
Expert

Eric Craft
Dallas, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Truly
But this triggers another solution which is to use RPM to do this since I already use RPM heavily. I already setup a 'modeling pass' in RPM and can simply set the scene lights in that pass to OFF, which should then render with default lights.
Unfortunately no. Scene Lights off will render black as default lighting is ignored if there are light objects in the scene. You would need to Add the Default Scene Lights and use RPM or other render management system to switch between render lights and scene lights as the best method.

-Eric

Old 06-12-2013, 04:18 PM   #7
Mike Truly
Expert
Mike Truly
Truly Media
Crested Butte, CO, USA

Thanks Eric. I just discovered this when testing. Bummer.

Mike Truly
-----------------------
Truly Media
www.trulymedia.com

Old 06-12-2013, 04:34 PM   #8
Mike Truly
Expert
Mike Truly
Truly Media
Crested Butte, CO, USA

For some reason (possibly Autodesk's bizzare instructions in that helpfile)... I can't get the Add Default Lights to Scene item to ever appear. The viewports are already configured to use 2 lights. I have tried switching them to one light then back to two lights, etc. but the option never appears. Who comes up with this nonsense?

Mike Truly
-----------------------
Truly Media
www.trulymedia.com

Old 06-12-2013, 05:05 PM   #9
PiXeL_MoNKeY
Expert

Eric Craft
Dallas, USA

Appears to work here. Did you see if they were added to a hidden layer or something?

-Eric

Old 06-12-2013, 05:23 PM   #10
Mike Truly
Expert
Mike Truly
Truly Media
Crested Butte, CO, USA

I got it to work in a roundabout way (I added the function to a toolbar and used it from there). Then I realized I had read the instructions wrong which was my mistake. I was looking for the function in the Create tab instead of the Create Menu (which I rarely use).

(Not sure why they couldn't just have this item on the menu or tab without making the user wiggle their nose just right to get it there).

All sorted now. Thanks!

Mike Truly
-----------------------
Truly Media
www.trulymedia.com

Old 06-12-2013, 05:23 PM   #11
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread