CGTalk > Software > Autodesk Maya > Maya Rendering
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 02-25-2014, 12:58 AM   #1
tr3c00l
portfolio

MentalRay Glass Problem

Hey guys,

I have to do a render comparison for University between MentalRay and V-Ray. Well, I am quite familiar with V-Ray and have no problems there, but I don't know ANYTHING about MentalRay. I just watched the new Maya 2014 MR Introduction on Digital-Tutors, but I can't solve this problem.

My problem is, that my glass looks horrible in MentalRay (haha ). It's just a mia x material with the glass preset. I tried to tweak it but I couldn't achieve better results than this:

http://abload.de/img/blaa4kkbn.jpg

(Left V-Ray, Right MentalRay)

Lighting: HDRI, 3 area lights, no caustics until now (wanted to solve this problem first).

Do you have any suggestion for improving the glass material?

Thanks for your help in advance!

Greetings
tr3c00l

Old 02-25-2014, 11:55 PM   #2
willanie
Frequenter
portfolio
Will Anielewicz
Fairfax, USA

Could you please post your maya scene setup for mentalray.
Im assuming you are seriously asking about how to make it look good with mentalray not just making a statement "look how much better vray is".
Because usually its not the renderer its the artist.

Old 02-26-2014, 01:45 AM   #3
tr3c00l
portfolio

Hey,

I uploaded the Maya (2014) file for you, this way you can just take look if you want. That's easier than writing all the stuff down. I hope that's ok Thank you!

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u...orkshop_0006.ma

No no, I really want to make it look better. I just want to prove my Professors that V-Ray is more (like MORE!!!) comfortable and intuitive to use as MentalRay. My university is considering to buy some V-Ray Edu licences if I can convince them

That mostly the artist and not the renderer is the problem I am well aware of! ^^

Old 02-26-2014, 08:10 AM   #4
ivobakker
Chucky

portfolio
Ivo Bakker
Owner
Studio i2
Delft, Netherlands

I think you just have to raise your max reflection depth and the max refraction depth
In render settings > quality > trace options

Old 02-26-2014, 02:18 PM   #5
willanie
Frequenter
portfolio
Will Anielewicz
Fairfax, USA

The main issue was that the teapot shape node had double sided turned off. This was making it look like a solid block of glass. I did tweak the trace limits and I added an amb_occ shader node to the ground material to darken the contact shadow.

You didnt supply the textures used so I improvised. The mia material does some unique things with Fresnel refraction so it does look a bit different than vray.

the revised maya scene
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4...dit?usp=sharing
Attached Images
File Type: jpg glassMR2_N.jpg (49.6 KB, 17 views)

Old 02-27-2014, 01:47 AM   #6
GecT
Frequenter
portfolio
Genevieve Williams
USA

I checked out the scene and a few things I think could be tweaked on the mental ray side of things. The VRay image seems to have some form of tonemapping while the MR image doesn't seem to (the highlights on the handle). Check out linear lighting.

-Use MR area lights
-Don't completely kill the diffuse weight on the glass. Tone down the transparency as 100% isn't very realistic.
-uncheck "skip reflections on inside" in the mia_mat's advanced reflection settings
-Be careful with AO since the bottom of an empty glass pot wouldn't be that dark.

:|| My CG Blog ||:
:|| My Maya FAQ ||:
:|| PMM Linear Lighting Buddy||:

Old 02-27-2014, 04:00 AM   #7
tr3c00l
portfolio

Thank you so much for your help! I am slowly getting an overview over MentalRay, but it's going forward

@GecT: I've got a good result for me so far, but I'll try your suggestions as well. Thanks!

Old 02-27-2014, 04:00 AM   #8
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread