Login register
reply share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 07-14-2014, 08:25 PM   #1
jtvergarav
Lord of the posts
portfolio
Chile

Overclock Farm with stock

I'm trying to find info on this from google, but sources are becoming every time more vague as I go on.

Do you know how high can I overclock my i7 4770k with the stock cooler? Or you got any reference?

I've never done overclocking anyway, and I'm aware I need an extra cooler, but that's not an option.

any insight?

Old 07-14-2014, 09:07 PM   #2
olson
Houdini|Python|Linux
portfolio
Luke Olson
Dallas, USA

Generally speaking the stock heatsinks are not meant for overclocking. Modern processors will throttle themselves when they get too hot so there's not a huge amount of risk but what's the point of overclocking it just so it can throttle itself. If you want to overclock look at heatsinks with better performance than the stock cooler.

Old 07-14-2014, 09:14 PM   #3
sentry66
Expert

portfolio
node crazy
USA

instead of shooting for a 50% overclock, try maybe 5-15% higher. It's going to depend on a lot of things, so no one can give an absolute answer

Old 07-14-2014, 09:37 PM   #4
jtvergarav
Lord of the posts
portfolio
Chile

Thanks!

Since I'm going for a month of rendering straight with a few machines, I thought it would be a good idea to increase it in at least 10% if there's no big risk, but again I'm not sure how much can they handle with the stock cooler.

do you know of any place they talk about this processor and stock cooler limits?

Old 07-14-2014, 11:04 PM   #5
ThE_JacO
MOBerator-X

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Raffaele Fragapane
That Creature Dude
Animal Logic
Sydney, Australia

The 4770K doesn't overclock by a lot in general to begin with, it runs hotter when OCed than older CPUs (shit underlid conductor, which is being replaced to go back to dropped soldering in Devils Canyon), and the stock cooler is abysmal.
10% will be your best bet if the case has good ventilation.

I've had mine at 4.7, that's a 20%, and now run it at 4.5, but it's liquid cooled, relidded, and it's a pretty good pick.

Free Maya Nodes

Old 07-15-2014, 12:28 AM   #6
jtvergarav
Lord of the posts
portfolio
Chile

Thank you man,

I'll better stick with what I got. I'm happy with it anyway

Old 07-15-2014, 12:48 AM   #7
ThE_JacO
MOBerator-X

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Raffaele Fragapane
That Creature Dude
Animal Logic
Sydney, Australia

You can always try, as mentioned before CPUs these days throttle pretty safely.
A 5% at least will most likely happen just fine and with almost no change in temperature even on stock. If that's of any significance to you, why not go for it since you paid for an unlocked CPU?
10% is where I reckon the stock cooler will struggle, unless the case has excellent flow, in which case you might pull it off comfortably. More than that and luck of the draw with the CPU and better cooling come into play, so it's not really worth the fuss.

Up to you, but the lower increments are fairly safe to play with really, like bumping the multiplier one or two points and the bclck by a Mhz or two.

Free Maya Nodes

Old 07-15-2014, 01:14 AM   #8
jtvergarav
Lord of the posts
portfolio
Chile

Thank you Raffaele,

though getting to swim that unknown sea means trading time for other things of the project, a 5% is too expensive :(

thanks for the insight man!

reply share thread