CGTalk > Software > Autodesk 3ds max
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  
Old 06-04-2013, 10:16 PM   #1
Derby, United Kingdom
UVW unwrapping issue

Hi there,
I'm using 3DS Max 2011
This i'm sure is a pretty basic task but being reasonably new to the UVW unwrapping game i would just like a bit of input to help me along.

I've attached a much simpler model of something i'm creating but same principle applies, i'd just like to know what the cleanest and best way to unwrap something with a ledge like this in it is. I've been able to unwrap it already but i don't think i've done it the best way if you were to unwrap it for production pipe line.

Any feedback and i'd be extremely grateful
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Unwrapping problem.jpg (56.0 KB, 13 views)
Old 06-05-2013, 08:19 AM   #2
Anthony Young
Birmingham, United Kingdom
I am not an expert so this is just how I would approach it.

I would unwrap it as a box and then do the "ledge" area separately.

To be honest it really depends on how your going to paint the texture.
If you know faces are going to share coordinates then you can overlay
these areas and maximise the texture space.
Portfolio -
Animation -
Old 06-05-2013, 08:43 AM   #3
Derby, United Kingdom
I'll have a play. Is it best to flatten out the ledge into one long rectangle or would you planar map top and bottom?

Textures won't be sharing co-ordinates if you mean will they bleed onto each face?
Old 06-05-2013, 09:32 AM   #4
Stephen Meldal Foged
Allerød, Denmark
Autodesk has a little intro to UV unwrapping, maybe that can help.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:33 AM   #5
Derby, United Kingdom
Thanks for that. I've had a look and it's quite handy for some bits but not sure it solves exactly quite what i want.

With the ledge section if I unwrap on it's own then i can't work out how to do it in a confined, tidy way without causing stretching of the map in the corners where the ledge is set back.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:47 AM   #6
That's actually quite a tricky case. One of the more time consuming things I deal with (I do this sort of thing in games for a living). You want to avoid UV seams and distortion. But you can't avoid both completely.

I would quick planar map all the faces on the ledge and make a texture which tiles horizontally or vertically, then rotate and align all the top and bottom faces and stitch all the side faces. Possibly stitching the top and bottom faces to that, depending on the texture. You might want to have space for the top and bottom faces so they can be correctly covered in dirt or something.

You will get seams in the corners. That's sort of unavoidable but it looks better than the distortion you get from bending the UVs around.

Unfold strip from edge loop is quite handy for the side faces, but it only works on the whole object so you'll need to break it off to do it. Or peel, then align to edge (which is a bit buggy). That might work for the whole thing if you add seams to all the top and bottom face corners.

Usually there's a fair bit of hand editing.

Good luck. It's tricky.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:47 AM   #7
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.
CGTalk Policy/Legalities
Note that as CGTalk Members, you agree to the terms and conditions of using this website.
Thread Closed share thread