CGTalk > Software > Autodesk 3ds max > Plugins & Add-ons
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  
Old 11-30-2012, 07:14 PM   #1
Sumesh Chandran
Toronto, Canada
Smoke & fire looks grainy?

Hi all,

What could be the reason for the fire & smoke looking grainy?

How do I adjust the quality of the fire, is it just the spacing that I have to focus on?
Could somebody please explain?

Thanks all.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:28 PM   #2
John Rand
still wandering the binary void
salt lake city, USA
You need to post a rendered frame not a preview

Posting preview window screengrabs is not at all accurate compared to a rendered frame. Even the best quality preview is not the same as a rendered frame. You should not use that as a final. The preview window is to provide exactly that a preview quality version so that you may determine if the fluid is behaving like you intend and a very rough final output.

Smaller spacing doesn't necessarily mean higher quality, it means more accuracy which in turn can lead to higher higher quality.

Start with getting a basic understanding of what is happening in a grid-based solver. The grid is made of X number of cells those cells are the size of the spacing value. When you add any number of elements to any cell then run the solver against it, things begin to happen according to the parameters the user inputs, parameters the solver accepts and what it does with them.

Fume is pretty much a two stage process: the first is running a simulation the second is rendering it. You need to determine first if the simulation is even ready to render, when you get to that stage THEN you begin working on your render settings.

There are any number of general/fuel/temperature settings that determine how your fire will behave. I am not really sure how to answer your question, it seems to open ended, you need to be I think a little more specific.
poof ~>Vimeo<~
Old 12-02-2012, 10:30 PM   #3
Sumesh Chandran
Toronto, Canada
Johnny, you are really awesome. I got my answer even though, you said my question wasn't specific.

Seriously, I have done a lot of learning on FumeFX. I didn't just want to jump in and learn it practically. It s getting more interesting.

My simulation is going on right now, its the 3rd day.

Thanks Johnny for the detailed explanation.
Thanks all.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:30 PM   #4
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.
CGTalk Policy/Legalities
Note that as CGTalk Members, you agree to the terms and conditions of using this website.
Thread Closed share thread