Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 04-24-2011, 11:28 AM   #1
StrykerOfChaos
portfolio
Cody Miracle
Indianapolis, USA

Universal Knowledge Application

I'm a first year Computer Graphics major here in the United States and a few weeks ago I completed my first 3D Modeling class, which was taught in Rhino.

What I'm wondering is if the things we were taught in Rhino are in any way applicable to what I will need to know when I transition over to Maya, because from my brief experiences with Maya nothing I have learned in Rhino is going to be of much use..

I really fear for this program (CGT Major at IUPUI in Indiana..it's a Purdue Degree) as they teach Rhino in the first class, then expect you to learn animation in the next (which is taught in Maya) but the teacher has to spend all their time teaching Maya Modeling and Animation gets pushed aside.

I'm wholeheartedly considering moving over to the Media Arts program at my school where they have a game design and development cognate as well as a 3D Modeling/Animation Cognate, and they start in Maya the first year rather than try to teach some other software program that isn't very applicable to a lot of the outside world (especially when the focus is animation in the program)

So is my knowledge of Rhino ever going to be useful or was that 4 weeks of my life completely wasted?

Old 04-24-2011, 04:08 PM   #2
FrankIowa
Frequenter
portfolio
Frank Heffner
Instructor and Program Director
Western Iowa Tech Community College
Sioux City, USA

There is a thread "Rhino vs Maya" dated 7-22-09 that may be of interest.

I do not use Rhino. It does seem unusual to begin learning in Rhino in one course and then take animation in Maya in the next. If you learned how to use references for modeling, good topology, etc. then some learning may transfer.

There is a student version of Maya that you can download no charge from Autodesk. You may want to begin learning it (lots of free tutorials online). It is possible to begin learning Maya starting with simple animation, but knowing the menus, shortcuts, etc. before you begin means more time focusing on learning concepts instead of the software.

Old 04-24-2011, 04:38 PM   #3
StrykerOfChaos
portfolio
Cody Miracle
Indianapolis, USA

Yeah, I know. I've dabbled in Maya a little bit and I plan to be teaching myself quite a bit over this summer.

Old 04-24-2011, 07:14 PM   #4
gawl126
Epic Failure
portfolio
Joseph Perenia
Senior TD / Shader Writer
San Jose, USA

Send a message via AIM to gawl126
I think Mr. Positive is a lecturer there in that program. You should send him a pm.

Old 04-24-2011, 10:00 PM   #5
StrykerOfChaos
portfolio
Cody Miracle
Indianapolis, USA

Yeah, I noticed Mr. Positive was an IUPUI- MAS professor and I realized who it was immediately. I already sent him a PM a few hours ago. He is actually going to be one of my instructors either this coming fall or spring depending on my class schedule.

Old 04-24-2011, 10:00 PM   #6
CGTalk Moderation
Expert
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread