Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 03-12-2013, 07:35 AM   #1
wolfofsahara
portfolio
Yen
none
Oakland Gardens, USA

Removing track marker that has reflection over it

The focus and the hand reflection over that track marker changes over the duration of this video clip... and I'm doing compositing for the first time. What could I do to remove that track marker? Please help! Thank you!

Old 03-13-2013, 10:15 PM   #2
rafamathard
PRO

portfolio
Rafael Medrado
Sao%2BPaulo, Brazil

i can't see your image, but sometimes you just need to paint it out manually or roto it out.

Old 03-14-2013, 12:40 PM   #3
wolfofsahara
portfolio
Yen
none
Oakland Gardens, USA

Sorry, here is another link-attempt. I heard other classmates saying when they tried painting it out almost every frame, it ends up having a slight buzz effect because not every frame's paint job line up perfectly. Since it's only 10 points in the whole assignment, I'd like to try to not spend 5 hours painting nearly 200 frames, if there are other ways to do it. Especially in the future if I have to do similar thing again, but on a much longer shot. But if that's what it comes down to I'll just do what I have to...

Old 03-16-2013, 11:06 AM   #4
earlyworm
car unenthusiast

Will Earl
craftsperson
Grizzly Country, Canada

There are a few ways you could go about doing this. Here's one using Nuke, but the same steps should also apply to other compositing applications - I've used a few unique nodes (degrain, pxf_filler and regrain), however you should be able to replicate these in other apps or with other nodes (denoise, blurs, etc).

First up here's a look at the node graph used to do this...

The basic idea is to create a mask where the tracking markers are and then fill those pixels in using the surrounding pixels. Doing this by itself would just create an odd blurry effect where the markers are which wouldn't work, so we need to first degrain the image to smooth it off before we fill the pixels in, we then regrain the image and then blend it in with the rest of the image by compositing it over the original footage. If all goes well the hardest thing will be matching the grain between the two images.

The first thing to do is roto the tracking markers to create a mask we can use - this is the alpha channel of the mask I'm using...

Second up the degrained image. This is done to help give a better result to the filler node and to avoid doubling up on grain in the image.

Next is the filler node, I'm using pxf_filler for this http://www.pixelfudger.com/PixelFudger/Home.html. You can get similar results by stacking blur filters on top of each other as well.

Now the to regrain the plate. Take some time to match up the size, movement and intensity of the grain/noise the best you can.

I've then copied the alpha from my mask into the image and premulted it. I'm using the same mask, but if you need to adjust the blend of the footage you can blur/feather/erode/dilate the mask here.

The reason why I'm compositing the fix over the original plate is because I want to preserve as much of the original detail as possible.

The final result, it's hard to tell if this would work without seeing it in motion - I expect I'd have to adjust quite a few settings in order to get it to work - the mask softness, filler size, degrain and regrain settings would all need fine tuning.

I hope that helps, let me know if anything doesn't make sense.

Old 04-02-2013, 01:06 AM   #5
wolfofsahara
portfolio
Yen
none
Oakland Gardens, USA

Handed in the assignment, and ended up actually RotoPainting quite a bit after all. The result was rather rushed so not in a shape I'd like to share, however, but thanks for all your help!

Old 04-02-2013, 01:06 AM   #6
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread