Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 03-25-2013, 10:09 PM   #1
federicozambrano
portfolio
federico
buenos aires, Argentina

Explosions in maya.

Hi, I would like some feedback on these explosions made in maya.

thanks.

https://vimeo.com/61851749

Old 03-26-2013, 09:37 PM   #2
BlackL1ghtn1ng
Pete Lutke
VFX Wizard
Los Angeles county, USA

This is a really good start. I would tone down your DOF, it's making your shots look like miniatures. Also, your explosions feel slow. Try speeding them up to help with the realism. You're off to a great start, though. Keep up the good work!

Old 03-27-2013, 02:11 AM   #3
patfour
Frequenter

Paul Allen Tillery IV
Digital content creator, filmmaker
Atlanta, USA

Personally I didn't mind the sense of "miniature-ness"; it reminded me of tilt-shift photography, and I think the toy-like feel fits with the stylized rocket design and smoke trails. If that was the goal, though, it could still be achieved with the DOF pulled back a bit--at some points it did feel heavy-handed.

I thought the explosions were neat looking, but something about their treatment made them seem not fully integrated with the environments. To me the shots at 1:17 and 1:26 stand out for this--it could be differences in blur/sharpness between the footage and explosions, and it almost looks like the elements don't have the same frame-rate (not sure if this is true, or if it just seems that way due to different filters/effects being applied).

I admit I'm not really well-versed in VFX, so my apologies if that was too vague to be helpful.

Old 03-27-2013, 10:04 PM   #4
federicozambrano
portfolio
federico
buenos aires, Argentina

thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackL1ghtn1ng
This is a really good start. I would tone down your DOF, it's making your shots look like miniatures. Also, your explosions feel slow. Try speeding them up to help with the realism. You're off to a great start, though. Keep up the good work!

Hi, thank you for your feed back.

Old 03-27-2013, 10:16 PM   #5
federicozambrano
portfolio
federico
buenos aires, Argentina

thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patfour
Personally I didn't mind the sense of "miniature-ness"; it reminded me of tilt-shift photography, and I think the toy-like feel fits with the stylized rocket design and smoke trails. If that was the goal, though, it could still be achieved with the DOF pulled back a bit--at some points it did feel heavy-handed.

I thought the explosions were neat looking, but something about their treatment made them seem not fully integrated with the environments. To me the shots at 1:17 and 1:26 stand out for this--it could be differences in blur/sharpness between the footage and explosions, and it almost looks like the elements don't have the same frame-rate (not sure if this is true, or if it just seems that way due to different filters/effects being applied).

I admit I'm not really well-versed in VFX, so my apologies if that was too vague to be helpful.

Hi, thank you for watching. maybe I should have said a few things about this video. first, the original footage had many, many problems... the grip on the helicopter was not steady and the resulting shots have an almost constant vibration! So, to eliminate this, I had to make them very slow (you can still see some of the vibration in 00:46 in the building) stabilize them, and another thing that I did was the exagerated DOF so you donīt see the problems of the footage.
second, the shot in 1:17, seem to be in the wrong scale, the explosion should have more detail... and in the next one 1:26 I donīt know what to say, it doesnīt seem so bad to me.

anyway, thanks, again.

z./

Old 03-30-2013, 04:55 AM   #6
eburdeinick
Mr. Work

portfolio
Efraim Burdeinick
Architect-3D modeler & animator
Miami, USA

Send a message via AIM to eburdeinick Send a message via Yahoo to eburdeinick
Looks like clay miniature... kinda claymation animation !

Old 03-30-2013, 04:55 AM   #7
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread