ALIENWARE Challenge Entry: Heather Abels

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

12 December 2003
ALIENWARE Challenge Entry: Heather Abels

Heather Abels has entered the ALIENWARE Challenge.

12 December 2003
Concept Sketch: concept 1

Here's my first stab at an alien environment. I guess with this I was trying to create a place that was beautiful and innocent, a place that you would only disturb by walking through by necessity.

12 December 2003
Concept Sketch: Concept 2

More details. . .

12 December 2003
I like the atmosphere a lot. It almost has that feeling of freshly fallen snow. Are you going to make it jell-o-y (new word)? i think it would be cool if everything was semi transparent. Nice start.

Mirage

12 December 2003
I think there is a rule about not having life forms or characters, but good start you have! I like the sparkly textures and ethereal atmosphere.

best of luck!

12 December 2003
Concept Sketch: Swirls

I've been trying to play around and develop some conceptual skills. I guess there are certain things I like about my origional concept, but it leaves a lot to be desired. I created this quick concept by trying to come up with a gassy structure, something organic, but almost Seussean. . .

12 December 2003
Concept Sketch: concept 2

This is after I tried incorporating my "structures" into an earlier version of my previous environment.

12 December 2003
Talking

Looks good, I liked the stringy secondlayer (uhm... organic?) into your first sketch. maybe you bring in some of them too so its like overgrown. Good luck and be inspired! dream on, dreamer...

12 December 2003
Concept Sketch: Concept Development

Thanks for the feedback Angel. Here I went back to the more detailed background, and scrapped the completely monitone color scheme. I'm still playing with the colors, but I like the idea of working with a limited pallet, as if the atmosphere here wouldn't support vibrant blues and greens. Let me know what you all think.

12 December 2003
I like your idea, there is a concept of birth, and a new beginning from it

12 December 2003
Talking

Hey, you're fast!

Well, it has a great, very shiny and beatiful mood, wonderfull dynamic shapes and the materialmix is in a good ballance yet.
If you want to refine your work, take care you keep that ballance.
The actual stage looks great.

You could work out your 2 foreground plants (yello) a bit, sharpen the focal view on them, so you already can plan the substructur (wich later will be the bump and dispalcement maps) just use very slight steps of 5-15% of the contrast-range you have now, the DOF lets the other 2 be ok, but the sharpness of your added Angelhairstrings sais the yellow material needs to be a bit more defined.
To bring in substructue to the foreground-ground, I could imagine a bit of subtile flaura or some crystals in that glassy and transluscent look, also on the cliffs (like pioneerplants on that young planet).

I love the transluscent style of your composition, your soft way to color, and the eatherical all overfeel.
No need to say you are very talented and have a really good feeling for the "finetuning", you're doing good and I'll sure be round to see how you gonna create this world!

Yeah girl, with my words: Make us go WOW and let's rock!

12 December 2003
Modeling: structures

It's been quite a while since I've sat down and done anything in 3d, so I'm afraid I'm a bit rusty. This is my first attempt at my structures. I'd appreciate any suggestions!

12 December 2003
Talking

Wouldn't worry bout your modeling skills, you're doin' good!
Nice complex, dynamic and rightproportioned.
Maybe you read my latest post in my tread, what i've written 'bout substructures, your basis model looks good.

Keep em coming, and tanks again for your nice coment, love your work too, and you really seem to be a nice person.
No go for it and keep your upgrades coming' can't wait to see more!

12 December 2003
Concept Sketch: Glowy doodle

Does it hurt your eyes? YEAH BABY! With some free time at work, I decided to doodle on my concept, and I rather like what I've done. It adds a glowy dewy something or other that I've been trying to build on. Are those alien populations on the cliffs, or is it just sparkely material. . . . we may never know---

12 December 2003
Smile the valley of sparkling stars...

Nice substructure... u know, me as a "shiney" fanatic is is much peased by your work, this really looks like turning out as a painting of light! Great update
Keep on rockin' Girl!

(oh what u said bout my comments, I have big rendertimes already for my testrenders, and i could spend my time much worse, could I? )

Last edited by TheFirstAngel : 12 December 2003 at 11:46 PM.

share thread