Old 02-08-2012, 08:51 PM   #1
jojojo
PRO
portfolio
YF
Germany

Nikon F5 Camera

Hi all,

this is to be a little tribute to a true masterpiece of engineering and trusted professional workhorse of the analog photography era, the Nikon F5, released in 1996 (!) and an attempt to achieve a good level of cg-realism.
I've tried to make it look worn out as some of the pro machines after a couple of years happened to be.

The model was built in Cinema 4D R 11.5, output was done in Maxwell Render 2.5.

Hope you like it !

Cheers

klick the images for highres-versions:

Last edited by jojojo : 01-06-2013 at 07:45 PM.

Old 02-08-2012, 11:30 PM   #2
Bryan3D
Frequenter
portfolio
Bryan
Austin, USA

Very nice model. Love the details!

Old 02-09-2012, 12:33 AM   #3
smas
Frequenter
portfolio
johan smas
generalist
Forslund & Co
Stockholm, Sweden

Send a message via MSN to smas
good looking model

What a nice camera! Well done.
The model looks nice and clean and have all the nice details.
The texture could be better I think. This is what I think, the scratcmarks should be more subtle and a bit less uniform in strength.
Next thing I think you could do better are the displays. They look a bit over saturated. Allso I think you should try to get a reflection on top of the digits.
The last thing but not the least. Infact this is what I think you sould take a look at first of all. The shoulderstrap or whatever its called. Its flat. Perhaps its got some bump but it dosnt show. I suggest you make it darker and see to that the fabrics structure i visible.
This was IMO

Dont take this negative because thats not my point. My point is that you have done a great model wich deserves the final touch

Im not a pro but I have an opinon

..it's a trap!

Old 02-09-2012, 12:59 AM   #4
zokana
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Zoltan Kanabe
Zurich, Switzerland

Yeah, a greatly done model of a great camera! Youve spent a lot of time with modeling, so the wish to show the model in its full beauty in a studio is understandable, but from a noninvolved point of view not very interesting and not logical to have such a worn camera as main subject of a studio still. The take is also rather gray in gray, black parts are looking somewhat washed out while the display illuminations are strong. Displaying seems also to happen on the surface and not behind a glass.

I agree with smas - treating a camera like this doesnt really look professional. Its also very difficult to get such scratches on the body without ruining some functionality, and without having the slightest effect on the buttons.

And a side note concerning the lens: the 180/2.8 looks rather long in my eyes, the surface not coarse enough, and the front end somewhat different from the original.

Id rather see the worn camera in an environment, like on a metallic photo case during shooting in a theatre for example, or on the handrail in a stadium, ... more than in an obviously arranged still life.

Keep it up!

Old 02-09-2012, 08:38 PM   #5
jojojo
PRO
portfolio
YF
Germany

Hi all and thank you for the focused critiques!
let's see if I find some time to improve this, already spent too much time on it...
@zokana: The 180 should be right...got all of that stuff here at home

Last edited by jojojo : 02-09-2012 at 09:07 PM.

Old 02-11-2012, 09:38 AM   #6
tgvgermanyx
vikas
ldh, India

Beautiful camera , beautiful modeling and texturing ! Love the details . The lens cap looks so real . Great job

Old 09-06-2012, 11:33 AM   #7
jojojo
PRO
portfolio
YF
Germany

I found some time to do some refinements to textures, model and lighting, but still haven't adressed some points of your critiques which I will be doing as a next step.
Amongst others I reworked the straps structure, added some hair on it, reduced the scratches intensity which I will probably do some more, modified the films plastic container and the grips rubber covering.
I still have some issues to adress, such as slightly floating camera and strap, but I'll do this later on with the final floor surface.

Last edited by jojojo : 01-06-2013 at 07:44 PM.

Old 09-06-2012, 01:05 PM   #8
Scote
just a creator

portfolio
Samuel Cote
3D Artist
MPC
Montreal, Canada

mm.. well done

I think you have the get the lens right.. there is no distortion in the lens and we don't see the mirror in the back

Old 09-06-2012, 07:35 PM   #9
fluidfxtd
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Rajendra Kumar Verma
Senior FX Faculty / 3d Generalist
Mumbai, India

Great detailing and love the over all looks....i love i!!t

Old 09-06-2012, 11:31 PM   #10
Dillster
Always Learning

portfolio
Dylan Saunders
Dublin, Ireland

I think that's great work. My Dad has a couple of those old F5 cameras and I showed him this thread. He says the likeness to the real camera is excellent.

My Dad has other film SLR cameras (other Nikons, Canons and Olympus) going back to the late 70s. Holding those old cameras seems weird, I always keep looking for an LCD, and feel dumb when I remember there is none.

Old 09-14-2012, 03:38 PM   #11
jojojo
PRO
portfolio
YF
Germany

Thank you all for your critiques, I'll keep going and improving!
Did some further lighting tests...

Last edited by jojojo : 01-06-2013 at 07:43 PM.

Old 01-17-2013, 11:20 PM   #12
jojojo
PRO
portfolio
YF
Germany

I've continued working on this scene and done some new lighting tests you can see here. Hope you like them!

Old 02-14-2013, 07:20 PM   #13
jojojo
PRO
portfolio
YF
Germany

Nikon F5 final Image

Hi all,

OK, this is my final version of this camera!

Unfortunately it didn't meet up with the high standards of the gallery, so after having refined the first version uploaded in here with a lot of work I'll stop here. I think this just as good as I'm able to do. ... been starting this in mid 2010 and I'm just a hobbyist :-)

Thx for watching!
Cheers

Old 02-14-2013, 07:20 PM   #14
CGTalk Moderation
Expert
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread