Procedural Effects

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

04 April 2013
Procedural Effects

Hey guys,

I've got a couple of questions, I hope some of you might be able to point me in the right direction.

1) Is there a way using a polygon model to separate and give each face thickness and have them scale and flip into position as an effector goes by? I was research about Soup on this but is it doable without any plugins?

2) When it comes to animated things to make up for example a cable. Do you guys trust maya's boolean system enough to do an animated boolean or do you usually settle for nurbs?

If it is nurbs...isn't texturing that and have it look correct tough as well?

For this question, it is because I am trying to make it seem like cloth is weaving together to build up the exterior protection of the cable.

Please do just point me in the right direction and I'll try to do research on my own. Thanks.

04 April 2013
I had to animate a double helix building around a center tube which more or less seems like the same concept.

What I ended up doing was UVing the helixes in a straight line, then mapped an animated black white ramp to the texture, rendered it out on a surface shader, and used it as a transparency mask in post. For the tips or ends to seem solid I snapped a curve to my helix poly model and used the curve an an animation motion path for basically the end of a cylinder which I timed to match the animated transparency of the helix model. Once again I softened and beveled in post to make it look attached to the helix geometry.

I'm sure there is a more elegant solution but this worked for me. Booleans that a re slightly more complex than a primitive NEVER work for me with the exception of the ticket01 Boole plugin.

04 April 2013
For growing strokes, paintFx converted to polys has worked great for me.
You can easily animate the stroke begin and end to get things to grow along a curve. Texturing could be a bit tricky depending on your final setup...but not impossible.
Is that enough to go on?
Not sure.
~Ben

04 April 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread