What would you expect from a Mid Compositor on their Reels ?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

10 October 2013
What would you expect from a Mid Compositor on their Reels ?

Hi everyone,

Just wondering if any Recruitment expert or VFX Supervisor could bring some clues to know what kind of shots or what kind of skills would you expect when you watch an Artist\'s Reel who is applying for a MID COMPOSITOR role.

If anyone can bring some light would be really appreciated.

Thanks
Roger

10 October 2013
What's the difference between a mid-level and senior compositor?

A mid-level compositor should show a high level of understanding of Nuke, with examples of green screen compositing, roto, cleanup, paint, wire removal, dust bust, grain, and color grading FG and BG elements to match.

A senior compositor understands 3D compositing, projection, matte painting and CG integration, LUTs, color workflows, ingesting and managing plates, and outputting to deliver to a client.

Usually a Jr or Mid level comper is tasked with the cleanup/roto and keying, and the senior comper will do the heavy CG integration and final delivery.

If you can get to the role of integrating full CG and addressing client notes, then you are at a senior level, especially if you can do it with the client present (like a Flame artist does).

It used to be the case that a junior could know roto or paint and eventually work their way up, but those jobs are basically gone- either outsourced or done by mid-level compers who are tasked with more work than before.

Learn Nuke. You can set yourself apart if you can get deep into 3D compositing and projections (that's very much in demand).

Good luck!

10 October 2013
Interesting reply Joe. Thanks. I've always been guessing when job ads mention junior/intermediate/senior positions what it actually means in terms of skills and knowledge.

03 March 2014
Thanks Joe. Really good answer. I get it more clear now

Roger

[links removed by admin - stop trying to spam your site and youtube channel]

Last edited by leigh : 03 March 2014 at 06:57 PM.

03 March 2014
Originally Posted by -dc-: What's the difference between a mid-level and senior compositor?

A mid-level compositor should show a high level of understanding of Nuke, with examples of green screen compositing, roto, cleanup, paint, wire removal, dust bust, grain, and color grading FG and BG elements to match.

A senior compositor understands 3D compositing, projection, matte painting and CG integration, LUTs, color workflows, ingesting and managing plates, and outputting to deliver to a client.

Usually a Jr or Mid level comper is tasked with the cleanup/roto and keying, and the senior comper will do the heavy CG integration and final delivery.

If you can get to the role of integrating full CG and addressing client notes, then you are at a senior level, especially if you can do it with the client present (like a Flame artist does).

It used to be the case that a junior could know roto or paint and eventually work their way up, but those jobs are basically gone- either outsourced or done by mid-level compers who are tasked with more work than before.

Learn Nuke. You can set yourself apart if you can get deep into 3D compositing and projections (that's very much in demand).

Good luck!

As someone who's considering attempting to transition his specialty to compositing, because Nuke jobs seem to be everywhere, how is it possibly to jump straight into a Mid-Level position? As you say...the Junior grunt work positions are now all outsourced to low wage locations. I already know that if I transition specialties I'd have to start over at the bottom of the totem pole. But now it seems there isn't even a bottom to try starting at any longer.

03 March 2014
To the OP, if I see one more post from you spamming your youtube channel and website, you're going to get banned.

Thread Closed share thread