When a child is born

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

06 June 2012
When a child is born

On the 5th of september this year I will become father of a little baby girl. So for me there is no better reason then to create a fabulous birthday card. Through this thread I hope to keep you updated on my progress.

For now the concept sketches are added and the first screens of her head that I modeled. The idea is that she will fly through a blue clouded sky and instead of being carried by the stork in a blanket, she will carry the stork.

All help and comments are more then welcome.

Regards,

Maarten

Last edited by maartenpex : 06 June 2012 at 11:16 AM.

06 June 2012
Some work for the body

Also gave my little girl some shoes. How do you like them?! Imagine them in white fur with silk pink lining.

06 June 2012
Progress

The update and to do list:

-Refine hands
-Refine boots
-Create T-shirt and trouser marking
-Add carrot in front pocket and add the front pocket

(the gap between both halves of the coat will be solved when I combine them)

All other remarks and suggestions are welcome!

06 June 2012
Update

As announced in the previous post, I refined the hands a bit did some little work on the shoes. Added the carrot in the front pocket and completed the coat. With it I think I have a good starting point to start my texturing process. If you feel as though there is something to gain, do not hesitate to tell me. All help and feedback is highly appreciated.

07 July 2012
Progress

Hello again to all,

With some delay, with my sincere apologies, here the progress of my little girl. Sorry for the lighting, but I need to rush out.

Still the hands keep annoying me and need more work. They still don't seem to look like a little girls hands. The rest of critique I leave up to you.

Regards,

Maarten

07 July 2012
ishh way to blast! lower the lights!

07 July 2012
I think the fingers are too long and that is why they don't look like baby hands. Nice job on the face and expression.

07 July 2012
Moving along

Thanks Scote for the reply and I messed around with the Physical sun and sky to get in the direction I am aiming for. Since she will need to be flying eventually through a clear blue sky with puffy white clouds I thought that there is no better solution then this.

So below some images where you can see the lighting does it's work nicely. Only question I have is if anybody might know how to get the clouds more white. I did it with the fluid dynamics system, but the clouds logically take on color of the sun rays which make them a little brownish.

As for the hands Dillester I took on your remark and shortened the fingers a little. However I still seem to think that I can push those in just a little bit more, but for now I want to focus on getting in the Stork.

My baby girl is set to be landing in reality around the 5th of September. That leaves me with just 5 weeks or so to go.

So need to be moving on.

Al remarks and feedback are highly appreciated as well for any help with the color of the clouds.

Regards,

Maarten

07 July 2012
Do you use hdr with your physical sky?

07 July 2012
Stork

Thanks for the reply Scote! When I render, I render with MentalRay with all the default settings. Reason for it is that I once tried to set the quality to production and all of my textures got messed up and my shadows as well. The textures got distorted and the shadows became ugly.

I think it has got something to do with the quality that automatically changes to custom as soon as you use the Physical sun and sky. I am quiet new to all of it as you might have noticed so all help is welcome.

Also I started on my Stork. The expression is explained when you consider that he will be the package carried in the blanket by my little girl and that traditionally it is the other way around. He will be looking upward towards his captain with this annoyed expression and his arms crossed in utter protest.

All crits are welcome and help on the render issue as well of course,

Regards,

Maarten

08 August 2012
Been a while and time is pushing on

While time speeds ahead I see myself forced in making some compromises in regards to the quality of the final result. As my girlfriend is due for the 5th of September I realize that I will need to conclude it all before the end of next week at latest.

The final idea is to paste in a direction traffic sign in the left corner of the image. There the name of my little girl will be made known and our home address. That's what she's pointing at. Furthermore above it I think it's nice to have a warning sign for about flying storks. Like in Australia you have them for Kangaroos.

All crits are more then welcome of course and much appreciated.

Regards,

Maarten

09 September 2012
Ready as ready can be

Dear all,

Here is the final result of my birth announcement made for my little girl. Her name is Alexandra Elisa Pex. As a huge fan of Pixar I decided to create a Blue Ray DVD cover and for my family and her bedroom I created a movie poster.

I hope you all like it and again your thoughts and crits are more then welcome,

Regards of a proud father,

Maarten

and oh, before I forget I used my website to do something funny with the elements of the announcement. Feel free to have a look:

www.maartenpex.com

09 September 2012
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread