Old Today, 11:44 AM   #16
boumay
Expert
portfolio
Steve Iskenderian
Freelance
Makkah, Saudi Arabia

Thank you very much cege
The problem with embroidery is that, for instance we a written text (like on the New Era hat), the fibers are perpendicular to the text path.
The fibers could be scattered this way, but by creating a spline that follows, so the scatter could be setup to bank and follows accordingly.
But how to scatter this way on a collapsed geometry of a pattern which are made of polygons?

Old Today, 12:00 PM   #17
cege
Explorer

portfolio

hey boumay,

eeehrm i'm not sure if i understood correctly. can you draw a quick sketch of your problem ?

Old Today, 12:16 PM   #18
boumay
Expert
portfolio
Steve Iskenderian
Freelance
Makkah, Saudi Arabia

Sure, here it is:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg example-emboidery1.jpg (91.1 KB, 5 views)

Old Today, 12:18 PM   #19
boumay
Expert
portfolio
Steve Iskenderian
Freelance
Makkah, Saudi Arabia

So here, the trick is to have the embroidery follow the presumed flow of the text while the text isn't splines anymore but a static, crude mesh, which has no information of vectors directions whatsoever. We know how the flow should be, but the computer/3dsmax/plugin doesn't.

I wonder if there was a quick way to mock up vectors by hand drawing them over the mesh. Maybe with zbrush fibers, and exporting them to max, or max built-in fur?

Last edited by boumay : Today at 12:27 PM.

Old Today, 12:46 PM   #20
cege
Explorer

portfolio

aaah well ... this is exactly the problem i had and i didn't know how else to solve it than the way i described it maybe try the hairfarm plugin? i think it's possible to let hair grow around a certain mesh, the thing is or what i think might be a problem is that you have to groom it by hand - give them the right direction with a grooming tool...

i don't think the built in hair and fur can solve your problem other than with the solution i came up with, but i'm not an hair and fur expert so - there might be like a real easy solution for that problem?!

i'm pretty sure that normally one would use houdini to solve that problem professionally.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmScphbUWa8

that's a knitting solver even though i think "our" problem could be solved in a similar way.
so if you're familiar with coding vex or juggling with node solvers you might wanna give houdini a try?

Old Today, 12:53 PM   #21
boumay
Expert
portfolio
Steve Iskenderian
Freelance
Makkah, Saudi Arabia

lol, well that's the problem , I don't know coding at all, don't even have houdini, nor hairfarm/ornatrix.
But I do have forest pack
I also have zbrush and I was wondering if I could reproduce the grooming workflow you mentioned with zbrush fibers?

Old Today, 01:57 PM   #22
cege
Explorer

portfolio

well you can try i never used zbrush fibres so i can't help you there

reply share thread