What should I be practicing as a beginner?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

Old 02 February 2017   #1
What should I be practicing as a beginner?

Hi guys, I consider myself a beginner to visual art even though I've been drawing casually all my life, I'm now trying to take art seriously. I eventually want to pursue a career in 2-D animation, and I'm currently an 18 year old freshman in college getting a BA in Media Arts.

Background info aside, I want to consider this the fresh start of my artistic journey and I want to start from the absolute basics so that my foundation will be set well, and I was wondering if anyone could let me know where I should start. I've been looking around on the forums for a few days now and seen some great advice, but nothing that I've implemented yet.

So in short, I'd like if someone could help me set goals to work towards to improve as an artist, and later as an animator.

Also I own a Wacom Bamboo tablet, so I have access to digital mediums.

Old 04 April 2017   #2
Hello, you are asking a difficult and situation specific question. I canīt give you a full plan ahead for your career as an artist, what I can tell you is one of the things that helps me the most to grow as an artist. Start finding projects to collaborate, or personal projects to work on. Really push yourself choosing projects that you donīt have the skills to do, this way you will learn and find innovative solutions. And keep a unbreakable discipline.

I hope it goes well...

Old 04 April 2017   #3
Make sure you read the sticky threads at the top of this subforum, because they contain many excellent advice and guidance on effective artistic development. There are even specific posts that outline learning/practicing plans/strategies that are very useful and will help you avoid wasting time on ineffective learning/growing approaches.

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #4
what artistic subjects do you have the most trouble with? *This can sometimes be a good starting point.

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #5
I'm just nowbstarting to learn the fundamentals online and I've been using the drawabox website to do so. I have a small understanding of perspective, but I know that I am going to struggle with anatomy when I get to that level

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #6
You need to be drawing all the time!!
Like every day!!

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #7
One of the biggest mistakes beginners make is trying to do too much, or overly complicated subject matter. Its much better to do something simple really well, than something overly ambitious that ends up mediocre.

Old 1 Week Ago   #8
Master the fundamentals.

Similar to what Clappy3D said:*Its much better to do something simple really well, than something overly ambitious that ends up mediocre.

I would add to that. Find something you like to draw. It could be figure drawing, vehicle design, environments, anything.

Pick the subject, then work from the ground up. Whether it's 2D or 3D, Composition, Lighting, Perspective are all fundamentals. Use a subject you enjoy as the vehicle to understanding these fundamentals and build your knowledge base and skillset.

I like to find a step by step guide or course. There are heaps on line, some free, some paid. It means you won't overwhelm yourself with complexities. Start with the basics, practice, practice, practice, then move on to the next level.

Hope that helps.

reply share thread