Extra Edges

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

Old 05 May 2014   #1
Knife Tool help

Hi all,

I am using Lightwave, though I was formally trained on 3ds Max and am having a hard time with the knife tool. Anytime I slice something it leaves behind an undeletable edge that affects my modeling. I select the faces I want to cut and use the knife tool. It creates the new geometry that I need but if I move the new geometry the original edge that I just cut is still there and intact. The weirdest thing is I can select the edge but not delete it. Does anyone know why this happens or how to keep it from happening? It's quite strange, I've never seen this before.

-Kikyta-

Last edited by Kikyta : 05 May 2014 at 02:34 AM.

Old 05 May 2014   #2
Not so easy to figure out the issue without a screen-capture, but it sounds like you have polylines there (2-point polygons). If that's the case, it might happen when clicking in Polys2Lines command accidentally. To verify, go to Statics (hit "w" key), switch to Polygon Mode (Ctrl + H) and check if you have polygons of 2 vertices. If so, click on + and delete them.

Gerardo

Old 05 May 2014   #3
I have an image but I don't see a way for me to upload it directly to the forum here, I don't see an attachment option. I did get ahold of a tech from Lightwave who told me the Knife Tool is only meant for dividing full objects not selecting certain polygons and dividing them. They suggested I use the Add Edges tool instead.

Old 05 May 2014   #4
Knife tool could be used in a group of polygons, but if they are selected, one gets holes between adjacent polys because a poly is cut but the adjacent one doesn't, and one have to merge the nearest points to close the hole. That's a 3-step operation. If that's the issue, the Add Edges tool may help there if no selection is used (otherwiese will be the same situation). Just consider one may get polys with more than 4 vertices.

The Slice tool looks more flexible in such case seeing that one is able to cut from polys to polys or from points to polygons and back to points, and same as AddEdges tool, it's a single-step operation.

Slice Tool

Gerardo

P.D. Below Submit replay / Preview Post there's an Additonal Options section and a Manage Attachments option. An image can be linked also from free image hosting websites like postimage.org or similar.

Old 05 May 2014   #5
Check out Swift Edge Loop interactive tool
http://www.trueart.eu

It is unifying three actions: sliding edges, dissolving edges and adding new edges.

Additionally it supports symmetry, and optionally analyses geometry creating smooth transition of new edges, instead of linear interpolation.

reply share thread