Cloth modifier creating a necklace. Problem.

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 12 December 2012   #1
Cloth modifier creating a necklace. Problem.

I am trying to make a leather string follow a pieces of jewellery using cloth. It's a necklace where the string is cloth and my jewellery is a collision object. I have two problems though:

First problem is that the string flattens out and doesn't keep its tube-shape (see attachment 01)

The second problem is that the string doesn't stay within my collision object loop. (See Attachment 02)

My collision object is animated, so the strings is supposed to follow it. I'm using 2013.
Attached Images
File Type: gif Attachment01.gif (64.8 KB, 13 views)
File Type: gif Attachment02.gif (64.9 KB, 17 views)

Old 12 December 2012   #2
No clothmodifier experts out there? (as in bump)

Old 12 December 2012   #3
I am not an expert just user:
Sometime helps to have more faces.
For flattening try track volume and pressure. But skinwrapping renderable spline to simmed one could be better (at least U know that thickness is still the same).
for second one try find right cm/units ratio. It could look like collision object is moving propperly but for cloth mod it could by like 1000 km and so. and try higher subsamples.

Old 12 December 2012   #4
Please upload your scene file if you want a detailed analysis.

Old 12 December 2012   #5
Thanks for the replies. @Frankyboy it could be awesome if you could shed some light on it. Here is the file. http://www.mediafire.com/?f252uwmfm5gxt2h

Last edited by Hordak : 12 December 2012 at 02:56 PM.

Old 12 December 2012   #6
Try this:

http://www.mediafire.com/?bnnb8p96gfxw0g2

This is a simple straightforward setup, you may need to tweak the skinwrap object to better shape the end jewel part.

I also added an FFD to keyframe the jewel itself in order to give it slight movement of rotation if necessary in order to overcome the skinwrap limitation of that section.

Having said that you have a few options in max to do this sort of thing, however most of them could end up breaking your sim, the setup above is the most stable one i have come across to do this sort of thing in max, especially when you are dealing with fast moving animated objects/characters.

I have tried massfx cloth plus collisions but it quickly becomes unpredictable and the solver breaks the sim most of the time, its just not there yet when it comes to complex cloth sims.

your best option for the time being is to stick with max's native cloth sim and work around its limitations as much as possible.

you may also try "Simcloth" (not sure if its still available for max 2013), its an old plugin but i think you may find it useful for such simple shaped objects, anything more complicated and it'll break the sim and possibly freeze your machine, but i suggest it cause it has a very good collision detection under the hood, even better than the native max cloth modifier, unfortunately it wont be able to handle complex layers and geometry.
Try it on the skinwrap object and see if you get better sims.

Best wishes,

Old 12 December 2012   #7
Thank you for the effort! I hate to ask because I don't quite understand how to do it. The physics look great, but how do I animate my piece of jewellery and have the string follow? I want to animate the Jewellery as if it had its own life. How would I do that using the skinwrap?

Old 12 December 2012   #8
Bump. I am still having problems with this. I just want my string to follow the animation of the jewel. Why cant I get it to work? Posted an attachment of the file in earlier post. Please help.

Old 12 December 2012   #9
Try this:

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?x02jkchm277h22l

It's simple since you could attach the groups to objects from within the cloth modifier parameters and animate those objects, the cloth would follow.

It's a good idea to go through the tutorials when you get stuck on such things, since the setup I provided earlier is already there, it would've been straight forward : ), hope this helps you now.

Best wishes,

Old 12 December 2012   #10
http://www.uschovna.cz/zasilka/L4285BH3NJUBH3T7-KPA

as I told before more faces can help.
I remodeled Your mesh. Looks like cloth does not like Your mesh.

Old 12 December 2012   #11
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread