first digital painting - still life

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

08 August 2015
first digital painting - still life

This is my first digital painting. Any comments would be helpful.

Also, what are some good books/dvds that would help me learn how to draw/render digitally.

Thank you.

Last edited by yup790 : 08 August 2015 at 07:21 AM.

08 August 2015
Hi there I'm just a newbie student so take that in account when reading this...

First of all, what did you wanted or tried to achieve doing this still life?
Did you wanted to get a first feeling about digital painting, get a better eye to hand coordination or did you actually tried to get as accurate as possible with your drawing and rendering? Or maybe all of that. Would be great to know that because there are lot of things to point out.

It seems that you rushed yourself with this. Try to think in what and how this still life is teaching you, don't just copy it for sake of it.
Think that nothing is floating in space, you need to paint the surface where this plate and apples are standing, also add the background... noting in real life happens to be in an empty white space.
It's quite hard to determinate were the light source is coming from, and there si no clear shadows (It's better for the first time just to use 1 source of light and no other thing. Go to your room turn off all the lights and close the window and use a lamp, so you just deal with only 1 light and not a lot of secondary filling lights that shut down your main source and can't teach you how to understand volume).

I'd recommend to stick just with line drawing and not think about volumes neither color. And if you don't want to then, try to draw it as accurate and clean as possible... a bad drawing will only lead you to a bad rendering.

There are a lot more things to I can tell you but it would help a lot if you can tell us what was your goal with this still life

PS:
-Books and DVD's from Scott Robertson's (just get How to draw and How to render)
-Andrew Loomis Fun With a Pencil (great if you are starting totally from scratch)
-James Gurney Color and Light
- Read This
- And this

Hope this helps!

08 August 2015
Also, if you dont have a drawing tablet, get one. It looks like you are struggling with your brush strokes. The pure technical mind to canvas route seem to need some love

reply share thread