Maya Character Rig with Eyes and Blendshape Control

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

10 October 2015
Maya Character Rig with Eyes and Blendshape Control

HI Guys,

I'm a 3D artist working in Liverpool and this is my first post to this forum. I'm looking for some help with rigging workflow in Maya. My Character consists of two separate/none continuous meshes for the head and body. The eyes are constructed of three separate meshes one for the eye ball and two eyelids. I also have an array of blendshapes applied to the head mesh.

As the following screenshot shows the eyes do not follow the head where the neck joint is tilted. I've tried parenting the eye-group in a variety of ways and even added eye joints to the rigging in the head. Still I can't get the eyes to sit still in the eye sockets.

This screenshot shows how the meshes shift when the root joint is move.

Finally this shot shows how the head is scaling and squashing when the neck joint is rotated.

Any help or suggestions would be fantastic.

Thank you,

Simon

10 October 2015
I don't know Maya rigging enought good to help you. But 3dsmax also make happen the same problem. In max almost always it going from bone (joints in maya) scale values. When the bones have scale other as [100,100,100], then meshes, bones and everything linked to this bone will moving, rotating or scaling weird.

11 November 2015
Hi, are you familiar with order of operation?

Check out the Maya docs on "Deformation Order". You need to make sure your skinCluster and blendShape are firing in the correct order.

In the case of characters, you usually want to the blendshapes to fire first (at the bottom of your history) and the skinCluster to happen after that. (At the top of your history.)

reply share thread