Who is your favorite artist?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

04 April 2005

Explain why you like the artist that you chose.
(you may post pictures of their works)
MY DEVIANT ART- click here

04 April 2005
Its so hard to choose, but the first two that popped into mind are: Andy Goldsworthy and Alberto Giacometti.

Goldsworthy's work is so pure and fascinating. He creates them on location with nothing but things found on location. They exist in time as well as space, as he often photodocuments their desintegration as well as their mere existence. That really appeals to me as an animator.

Giacometti is mostly known for his sculptures, but I really go nuts over his drawings and paintings. They really helped me loosen up when I was doing drawing courses in school.

Some others: Dave Mackean, Dorthea Tanning, Mike Mignola, I could go on forever.

05 May 2005
My favorite artist/illustrator is Kadir Nelson, I dont know what it is about his work, maybe Im inspired by his basketball paintings, but I do prefer his work over Frank Morrison.

05 May 2005
edgar degas is a big inspiration to me.

my favorite living artist would have to be bruce timm, the brains behind 'batman: animated series'.

05 May 2005
Dali it would probably have to be...

05 May 2005
Originally Posted by cbrengard: Dali it would probably have to be...

yep yep DALI DALI DALI DALI AND MORE DALI

need i post pictures? i think not.

05 May 2005
I think it's pretty dangerous to have only one favorite artist. There are so many different styles from so many different cultures and time periods, and in each category, there are more than one master with equal talent and mastery. There's no way in hell I could name only one person.

05 May 2005
Originally Posted by Lunatique: I think it's pretty dangerous to have only one favorite artist. There are so many different styles from so many different cultures and time periods, and in each category, there are more than one master with equal talent and mastery. There's no way in hell I could name only one person.

I agree.
I think that it is important - esp. - early on - to expose oneself to as much art and "life" as possible.

Gord

My Anatomy Thread

My Website

Good Facial Expressions Resource:

http://www.artnatomia.net/uk/artnatomy.html

05 May 2005
Originally Posted by Lunatique: I think it's pretty dangerous to have only one favorite artist. There are so many different styles from so many different cultures and time periods, and in each category, there are more than one master with equal talent and mastery. There's no way in hell I could name only one person.

I agree, its much like music, film, literature..

I love the fact that thats the way it is, as it means we'r constantly discovering new things, though the flipside is, it takes alot of time to expose yourself to everything < a reason why i think the internet is great

05 May 2005

I think your mixing "who is your favorite artist"? with "who is your influence"? Nothing wrong with having a favorite movie, band, etc.... But there is something wrong with if those are the only things influencing your creativity. You would just end up being a mimic.

Thread Closed share thread