blend smoothly between posemorph states in a cloner

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

01 January 2018
blend smoothly between posemorph states in a cloner

Hopefully this is simple and I'm just a bit rusty ;-) Trying to blend smoothly between posemorph states in a cloner.

It's for a mechanical animation, where a 'claw' reaches down and drops something on a conveyor belt. This is a simple cut-down version of the scene, in reality there's multiple moving parts as the grabbers move down and back up - springs, gears etc. I've got the closed and open states as hierarchy posemorphs, but can't seem to find a way for the claw open smoothly; the best I've got is to use 10 or so versions of the claw and then ripple through them using 'sort' mode in the iterator, but that's clumsy as hell and still not smooth.

I need to show the movement ramping down from fast to snail-pace, then back to fast again, and the movement to stay smooth and consistent throughout - so hand animating would be problematic. Also I'm hoping to render with motion blur, so would prefer to avoid any looping hacks ie animate a small section then rewind & repeat it.

I'm sure there's a simple answer here. Thanks for any help! Cheers - Chris

Last edited by ChrisCousins : 01 January 2018 at 01:00 PM. Reason: Change title

01 January 2018
Here's the cut down file by the way:

smoothMorph.zip

01 January 2018
Oops never mind, solved it. For anyone in the same boat, the solution I used was to convert a copy of the cloner to a hierarchy of objects, then use a bit of Xpresso to copy the positions to the new objects (just hidden cubes in the source cloner) then use Mograph sampler to drive the posemorph. Just the ticket:

01 January 2018
Another option is to set the Cloner to Blend mode and use a Step effector to equalize the clones before blending with the Plain effector.

smoothMorph_blend.zip

01 January 2018
Originally Posted by Darter: Another option is to set the Cloner to Blend mode and use a Step effector to equalize the clones before blending with the Plain effector.

smoothMorph_blend.zip

Great stuff thanks Darter - I didn't know that Modify Clone worked in Blend mode. Awesome tip, this is much more elegant than my effort.

01 January 2018
No worries Chris, glad you found it useful!

01 January 2018
Hi Chris, I have a full series dedicated to this functionality on Cineversity.

https://www.cineversity.com/vidplay..._using_mograph/

Cheers

01 January 2018
Great stuff Athanasios - as always with your training I learned much more than I came for. Hadn't used the gradation curves in the filter effect before, valuable stuff. Also who knew there was more than one way to pronounce 'Iterate'? My horizons are broadened ;-)

01 January 2018
So, here's my question to all.
We are trying to publicize our Cineversity tutorials when they are released as much as we can, but it seems for some reason the information gets lost sometimes. What can we do better to get that information to all of you Cineversity users?

We are working very hard to meet the vast knowledge requirements of our user base, and want you guys to create great stuff, and save valuable time.
Our motto is: More tutorials, Better tutorials (I just made that up).

If you use Twitter, follow@maxon3d , follow me @nosemangr Donovan@dskeith ,@Cineversity e.t.c.
Also, if you're on Facebook, befriendMAXON Cinema 4D.

Sorry for hijacking the thread :-)

01 January 2018
Originally Posted by noseman: So, here's my question to all...

Speaking personally, I think at this stage the number of C4D tutorials available online is effectively infinite - the way I use them is when I come up against a problem and can properly phrase it, just type that into Google and see what turns up. There's very few training sites that I'll immediately watch whatever they publish. So even if I followed you on social media (just checked and I am, phew!) - I wouldn't necessarily watch every new clip.

One model that sort of works is the ultra-narrow abbreviated tutorials - highly condensed footage, or even a GIF, showing you how a specific tool works. I have no problem watching Merk lay out Procedural Melting in 3 minutes, but if I'm going to watch a series for 30minutes or so then I'll have to have a very good reason. There's a similar series in Modo, very specific info in around a minute:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5nLnKbGbyI

I'm not suggesting Cineversity follow this exact model; I really like the depth you go to in your series, the object tracking one was great in that I felt like I understood the whole subject, not just one aspect. But maybe the reason your content is getting lost is because of this wide approach, the broad scope becomes a barrier for watching?

01 January 2018
Great feedback, very helpful.
Thanks Chris!!!

reply share thread