George Kim_Render and Lighting_The Citadel

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

3 Days Ago
George Kim_Render and Lighting_The Citadel

Sorry for my sudden submission. I was occupied with some of my major projects til two days ago.
When only one and a half day was left until the deadline, I wasn't sure if I ever could make it. So I didn't post what I was doing yesterday.
But today I managed to pull out decent renders, so I decided to post the WIPs so far while the final renders are being rendered in my PC at 4k.

First, Research.

I studied the Kitbash model provided and did some research on the WEB to find the most relevant textures for the buildings. It seems that the model is mostly emulating Byzantine architecture, while the tallest buildingseems to have been inspired by Taj Mahal in India and some features from that of Iran. With all criticism aside about the seeming anachronismin the model, I decided to settle on Byzantine architecture for the textures of the buildings, since Byzantine architectural features seem to be predominant.

Last edited by Georgie : 3 Days Ago at 08:38 AM.

3 Days Ago
Second, Creating Textures for the Model,

I made two tileabletextures out of the pictures of a front wall and a gate of the famous Hagia Sohiaand made a Cycles procedural shader that would work for the entire buildings. And tweak the UVs to avoid repetitivetextures as much as possible. (The model is made of repetitive copies of walls and columns.)

3 Days Ago
Setting Up the Scene.
Using an aerial photo of Hajia Sophia as a reference, I set up a terrain utilizing the famous Cycles Islands model by Agustin Benavidez, and later reorganized the buildingsand added a paved ground later.

3 Days Ago
Lighting: Early Morning ...

3 Days Ago
A midday shot ... and I'm tweaking the scene for moon night shot. ... and finished and rendering in progress.
Softwares used: Blender, Photoshop
Render engine: Cycles
Renderer: CPU (Edited in GTX690)

3 Days Ago
Lighting: Night.

3 Days Ago
Sorry about "the seeming anachronism" comment I made earlier about the Kitbash model. It looks like the provided models were rather "randomly" chosen from Kitbash's Arabic Kit (shown below) where you can deliberately select architecture of varying era and regions. Hats off to the modeler(s).

reply share thread