LIGHTING ERRORS IN 3D SMAX vray renders

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

12 December 2017
LIGHTING ERRORS IN 3D SMAX vray renders

I am a novice user of 3ds max rendering with vray. i have a problem with a revit model i am trying to render. the light and shadow don't seem to appear right. If anyone could take a look and give me some advice, i would be immensely grateful

12 December 2017
Few things I would try in order:
-investigate scene system units, and also display units. make sure objects in the scene are realistically scaled
-investigate where the objects are placed in the world. close to 0,0,0 xyz is the best. move if not close.
-reset xform on the buggy objects, add edit poly modifier, select all polys/elements and detach to new objects. make sure objects have correct normals.

12 December 2017

thanks so much for taking the time out to reply me. I tried what you suggested but i'm still getting the same result. I think there is a problem with the environment judging by that wired shadow slanting across the building. When its rendering the pre passes it looks fine, but then that shows up in the final image

12 December 2017
Did you try the reset xform + detach elements thing? Also looks a bit like it could be smoothing groups. Would also try changing the renderer to scanline and back to vray to see if resetting vray helps. Also worth it to try rendering with a gray override material. It's difficult to know exactly what it is for me, without getting to investigate the scene myself.

12 December 2017
right click - convert scene materials. looks like the glowing areas are standard materials which wont work well with vray

12 December 2017

i didnt figure out the how to do the reset x form thing earlier, but i did after wards and it totally worked. You're a life save mehn. Thank you so much. Now i just have to tweak some materials and i'm done

reply share thread