OT : ImageModeler

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

10 October 2009
OT : ImageModeler

Hi all

Not sure whether anyone on this forum uses ImageModeler at all but I've just found out that since being consumed by Autodesk they're about to freeze out anyone that doesn't use their other products (like AutoCad, Maya etc.)

Essentially until the end of this month (October 09) you can upgrade ImageModeler to the latest version (9) as a standalone product. As of November 2nd it will not be sold as a standalone product.

As a FormZ/EI user I use ImageModeler for constructing pre-existing buildings for masterplan illustrations etc. I don't use it often and I've used SketchUp's similar feature to do the same, but ImageModeler is a powerful bit of software once you've mastered its idiosyncrasies.

So I was appalled when I saw this news - I have no intention of prostrating myself to the all consuming Autodesk - so may upgrade ahead of the deadline to keep my copy alive.

I'd rather not however as whilst things here in the UK are starting to pickup the effects of the recession have put a significant dent in my software budget for this year.

James

10 October 2009
I sympathize. They say they do that to simplify their product range and give the users a more complete workflow solution. That's bull. At the end there is always the go with someone else solution as photogrammetry is in full development. Lots of high end (and expensive) stuff out there but also some affordable ones:

http://www.photomodeler.com

Open source:
http://www.efoto.eng.uerj.br/en:start

Other interesting use of photogrammetry:
http://photosynth.net/
http://www.motionportrait.com/e/

10 October 2009
Imagemodeler will no longer be available as a stand alone product? That's the first I've heard of this. Fortunately that's the last piece of Evildesk software that I own so once they deep-six it I'm done doing business with that company, hurray! The trail of carnage on my bookshelf:

Motionbuilder Standard
Combustion
Vtour
Matchmover Pro
Imagemodeler
Lightscape

I almost bought into Softimage 2 weeks before Autodesk bought it, I went with Houdini instead, dodged a bullet there...

I'm thinking my next Image Modeler upgrade will be Photomodeler. It's only a couple hundred dollars more than the Image Modeler 2009 upgrade. I would've purchased the IM 2009 upgrade when it came out but they removed the only exporters that worked (lws and vrml) and replaced them with a broken FBX exporter.

I've talked to EOS (photomodeler) and they were very responsive to my inquiries, the only thing it can't do is work with panoramas. When I emailed Autodesk regarding the broken FBX exporter I never received a response. I wouldn't waste my time/money with the IM 2009 upgrade unless you REALLY need to model from panoramas.

Last edited by splitpoint : 10 October 2009 at 03:26 PM.

10 October 2009
Interesting to hear both of you mentioning PhotoModeler - I had found that one and it looks very good.

Building from panoramas isn't an issue for me so it just might be on my purchase list - at least I don't have to panic buy ImageModeler and can wait till I have the monies available.

Thanks for the advice guys

James

10 October 2009
I just upgraded. May be worth noting that some export formats have been dropped.

Image modeler now only exports native rzi, fbx, Maya Ascii ma, & obj. Not a biggy if you are using it with EIAS I guess, but annoying for Lightwave & C4D users.

But at least they had second thoughts about dropping the Mac version - nice that I don't have to bootcamp.

BB

10 October 2009
Originally Posted by frogjackson: Interesting to hear both of you mentioning PhotoModeler - I had found that one and it looks very good.

Building from panoramas isn't an issue for me so it just might be on my purchase list - at least I don't have to panic buy ImageModeler and can wait till I have the monies available.

Thanks for the advice guys

James

If you're licensed for IM you might want to ask EOS about a Photomodeler competitive upgrade from IM. They seemed flexible when I asked about it last year, might save you some cash.

10 October 2009
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread