keeping polypaint but adding new uv's

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 01 January 2013   #1
keeping polypaint but adding new uv's

Help please. I got a Ztool file thats been painted and uv'ed with uv tiles. I want to create a new uv map and save the polypaint thats been done. When I copy new uvs to the lowest subdiv it messes up the paint job. How can I do this? I'm new to polypaint so maybe there is a step I am missing???

Thanks in advance Ruby

Old 01 January 2013   #2
Hey,

I could be mistaken, but it's likely you're actually having a texture problem. Did you previously convert your polypaint to a texture? If so make sure its toggled off and your polypaint is on and there shouldn't be a problem. Polypaint isn't effected by uv's (the pixologic documentation recommends deleting your uv's before poly painting) so changing your uv's shouldn't affect your polypaint. It will effect your texture however.

Good luck, that might not be it, but I had the same "problem" and had to futz with it until I realized it was the texture.

Old 01 January 2013   #3
use the zplugin UV Master instead of uv tiles

Old 01 January 2013   #4
Thanks, I plan on using the UV master to create a uv set but just wanted to clean things up and add more detail while keeping what was there. This is a file from someone else so I didn't want to have to repaint everything all over. I would have laid out the uv's first before creating a texture.

I'm having trouble figuring out the steps in order to do this.

Ok it seems I got it working though some models have this residue of color in squares from the original tile uv's...??hmm

Last edited by rubyscooby : 01 January 2013 at 05:47 AM.

Old 01 January 2013   #5
Hi,

It sounds like you have figured it out for the most part but just to clarify your situation -

Polypaint in ZBrush is independent of any UV Coordinates. If there is polypaint information assigned to the model you are working with and you have no use for the UV tiles previously generated, there should be no need to keep them.

Just delete the current UV's, create new ones at the lowest sub-division level (with your method of choice) and then go on to bake any maps that you require.

Also, the "residue of color in squares" on your model sounds like you could still have a previously generated texture map assigned to the mesh. Check (under Texture Map rollout) that the "Texture On" button is not activated.

Did you create "Polypaint from texture"? A texture map generated using Tiled UV's may exhibit such artifacts when converted back to polypaint.

I hope this makes some sense! ... If not then could you let us know of the steps you took to get to this point?

Good luck.

Old 01 January 2013   #6
Hi
They converted the polypaint to a texture map. When I create polypaint from this texture map before I copy the good uvs and it still has guv tiles it goes back on pixelated and not sharp.
Is there a way to keep the polypaint info nice and sharp? It seems like everyone says it's independent so there must be a way.

Old 01 January 2013   #7
It is indeed possible to have crisp polypaints, but not if you haven't been given a polypainted tool.

You seem to be having some confusion over the distinction between displaying a texture and displaying a polypaint, so I'm not quite sure what you're doing because your description is a little confusing.

Poly painting is stored inside your ztool, and it's detail is not based on image resolution but rather on the subdivisions of your model. You can observe this by going to a low detail level of your polypainted model, you'll see it get blurry, because each polygon is only one color, or a gradient (there is a switch in the poly painting pallette). So millions of polys = high detail. That's why uv's are irrelevant to your polypaint.

A texture is, of course, an image file, which is displayed on your model via uv coordinates.

It's important to understand that textures in zbrush override poly painting. So if you have the "texture on" highlighted in the texture pallette you can't see your polypainting (but its still there).

The point of all of this is that if you were handed off a file with no polypainting assciated with it, with uv's and a texture file, and if that texture is too low res (zbrush can export 1 2 3 and 4k images), then when you convert that texture back to a polypaint it will faithfully, and with very high quality reproduce the pixelated look of your texture. It can't invent detail that doesn't exist. So you might be screwed. But if you still have the original polypaint you can just make a new texture.

You just need to figure out what you're looking at. Go to the texture rollout and make sure "texture on" is off. Then go to the polypaint rollout and click "colorized" on and off. The model will switch between your blank material and your polypaint. If that polypaint is pixelated then that's all you've got and you'll just have to redo it or live with it.

Also... Just wanted to mention that the "the residue squares" you were seeing, though everything feat said was true, could also be an area where you inadvertently painted a different material onto your model. Note the distinction between painting with rgb highlighted and with mrgb highlighted. Just thought it might be that because you can't see part of an old texture, if texture is on, then that's what you're seeing. Though bad uv's could make it display improperly.

The videos on the pixologic website under education help for a lot of this stuff to understand how zbrush functions, because its very different from other apps and at first is incredibly frustrating.

Hope that helps...

Old 01 January 2013   #8
Originally Posted by rubyscooby: Hi
They converted the polypaint to a texture map. When I create polypaint from this texture map before I copy the good uvs and it still has guv tiles it goes back on pixelated and not sharp.
Is there a way to keep the polypaint info nice and sharp? It seems like everyone says it's independent so there must be a way.

1: tool>uv map>4096
2: set subdivision to the highest
3: tool>texture map>create>new from polypaint

i think when you made a new UV you never set the subdivision back up to the highest level on step 2 above.

Last edited by informerman : 01 January 2013 at 11:10 PM.

Old 01 January 2013   #9
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread