Old 01-20-2013, 12:47 AM   #16
Doark
portfolio
Henrik D'oark
Brasília, Brazil

Smile Possible Solution!

The best way I see to solve your problem would watch this tutorial DT:
http://www.digitaltutors.com/11/training.php?vid=11128

You will understand why using mia_light_surface you will achieve better results...

Probably modeling the shape of the light (fluorescent light, those found in hospitals) together with mia_light_surface, you will have a better reflection of the light source!

The words of InfernalDarkness are quite knew, listen to them now and avoid problems in the future x)

good luck

Old 01-20-2013, 07:42 PM   #17
bntheman
PRO
portfolio
Bob Bob
clemeton, US

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfernalDarkness
My guess would be that it's the point light lighting up your scene, not the Light_Surface shader - unless you have them connected, then it would be both of course! If your turn off the point light, how's it look?

InfernalDarkness, I am not sure which post you are referring the point light being the issue. If it is about why the surface light was not working prior to switching render quality to "Production", that was not the case being that I was not using a point light at the time. Where the point light comes into topic, was when after changing the render quality to "Production" and also added a point light as a fill light. I am sure that I will get better results when I switch out the point light and replace it with an area light will improve even more. However, I thought it was very odd it worked that way.

[QUOTE:]But that's just some info for you; I know you're just trying to make content for games, and none of this may have any bearing on your rendering engine in the game.[/QUOTE]
Yes, hopefully this will work out. The basic idea is to have your uv's laid out, and then let Maya bake the lights onto a color map. Howver, that does not mean that light_surfaces can be baked. :'(

Old 01-21-2013, 02:00 AM   #18
bntheman
PRO
portfolio
Bob Bob
clemeton, US

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doark
The best way I see to solve your problem would watch this tutorial DT:
http://www.digitaltutors.com/11/training.php?vid=11128

It is a shame that cannot afford the membership for it.

Also, I found something very interesting about Unity3d, which is the game engine I will be using for my video game. Apparently the free version of Unity3d 3.5.x now offers light baking. I am not really sure how far this can go, but maybe I should be focusing towards this direction.

Old 01-21-2013, 02:06 AM   #19
bntheman
PRO
portfolio
Bob Bob
clemeton, US

okay, so I have just answered my own question. Apparently, only Unity3d Pro supports Global Illumination. That's a bummer

Old 01-21-2013, 02:47 PM   #20
Doark
portfolio
Henrik D'oark
Brasília, Brazil

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by bntheman
It is a shame that cannot afford the membership for it.
Also, I found something very interesting about Unity3d, which is the game engine I will be using for my video game. Apparently the free version of Unity3d 3.5.x now offers light baking. I am not really sure how far this can go, but maybe I should be focusing towards this direction.

I also am no longer membership of DT :L

But I remember how was the process of this tutorial, I want to step up a scene I made quickly to show you that this tutorial would teach you! This here three test render I did:
not notice the low quality samples and some dark areas because of FG.

About Unity, it uses the engine from Autodesk Beast for GI! And you can get a copy of Unity Pro 4 for 30 days through the site of Unity x)

http://unity3d.com/unity/quality/lighting

Old 01-21-2013, 10:53 PM   #21
bntheman
PRO
portfolio
Bob Bob
clemeton, US

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doark
I also am no longer membership of DT :L

But I remember how was the process of this tutorial, I want to step up a scene I made quickly to show you that this tutorial would teach you! This here three test render I did:
not notice the low quality samples and some dark areas because of FG.

Doark, other than the boring dull gray colors and the weird shadows at the top of the side walls, I really do not see that much being else low quality, and the bulbs look pretty accurate IMO. Also, that type of light is not what I am going for. Here is an example based off of a member from polycount forum named Sythen...

And I also noticed that, after looking at some Google images, game lighting is not that accurate either. So technically I guess what I am looking for is an over exposed light fixture and some how need the glowing to bleed onto the ceiling. I guess this can be done in Maya, and forget Unity's lightmapper since the glowing area of the ceiling is coming from Final Gathering.

Last edited by bntheman : 01-21-2013 at 10:57 PM.

Old 01-21-2013, 11:04 PM   #22
InfernalDarkness
Madness. Madness, I say!

portfolio
Sho Pi
CG arch/viz
Seattle, USA

Ahh, right. Light glow! Yeah, you don't need to bake this into anything, for most game engines. Even current ones support light glow. You don't need to bake the glow into your textures, just set up your lights properly in the game engine and be sure the diffuse texture maps are proper, and then set up your lights in the engine.

Modern engines all support light glow and geometry glow. Here's the best example, but I can screenshot some Skyrim ENB examples when I get home if you prefer:

"Like stone we battle the wind... Beat down and strangle the rains..."

Old 01-22-2013, 01:32 PM   #23
Doark
portfolio
Henrik D'oark
Brasília, Brazil

Quote:
Originally Posted by bntheman
Doark, other than the boring dull gray colors and the weird shadows at the top of the side walls, I really do not see that much being else low quality, and the bulbs look pretty accurate IMO. Also, that type of light is not what I am going for. Here is an example based off of a member from polycount forum named Sythen...

And I also noticed that, after looking at some Google images, game lighting is not that accurate either. So technically I guess what I am looking for is an over exposed light fixture and some how need the glowing to bleed onto the ceiling. I guess this can be done in Maya, and forget Unity's lightmapper since the glowing area of the ceiling is coming from Final Gathering.

Yeah, that color very tedious! I think it is necessary to paint a textured wall to escape this flat color. I left it that way, not to have to apply a lens shader, already thinking about the process of baking.

After understanding what you want to do and read the explanation of InfernalDarkness, I decided to look for how to do this in Unity (once did something similar in Unity, but was using Halo) but I found something interesting:

http://answers.unity3d.com/question...light-glow.html

Hope this helps you!

Old 01-23-2013, 12:31 AM   #24
bntheman
PRO
portfolio
Bob Bob
clemeton, US

please delete this post. Some how I had accidentally double posted

Last edited by bntheman : 01-23-2013 at 12:49 PM. Reason: I wanted to delete this for double posting

Old 01-23-2013, 12:35 AM   #25
bntheman
PRO
portfolio
Bob Bob
clemeton, US

I am very hesitant in accomplishing this in Unity. This is because a few years back I had watched a video tutorial on GtkRadient. For the most part, the instructor was using built-in textures that had light data. Doing so, made it very easy to apply lighting with textured light panels etc., which would not only illuminate itself but also include the bounced lighting just like in the real world.

Old 01-23-2013, 12:38 AM   #26
InfernalDarkness
Madness. Madness, I say!

portfolio
Sho Pi
CG arch/viz
Seattle, USA

I think you need to spend some time in Unity, or whichever game engine you want to use, instead of starting in Maya and working backwards. Knowing what and how your game engine can do will be key. Until then, you're really just spinning your wheels in Maya.

"Like stone we battle the wind... Beat down and strangle the rains..."

Old 01-23-2013, 08:55 PM   #27
bntheman
PRO
portfolio
Bob Bob
clemeton, US

InfernalDarkness, here is my dilemma. After watching a video tutorial on lighting with the UDK engine, I have learned that the style of lighting I am looking for is called Emissive Light mapping. With Unity3d, this is known as a self-illumination surface. However, both engines require baking the light data onto the textures. UDK does this when you are ready to build the map, and Unity uses Beast lightmapping. The problem is the end results means it needs to use GI/FG. I have not looked into the UDK licensing, except for that I do know you need to have a purchased game to get the level editor, and Unity3D requires the Pro license. Yeah it does have a 30 day trial, but when did you ever see a game developed in 30 days? That is why I have been thinking of doing it like back in the days when Unity3D did not support Beast. Doesn't sound possible to accomplish this in Maya?

Last edited by bntheman : 01-23-2013 at 08:59 PM.

Old 01-23-2013, 08:55 PM   #28
CGTalk Moderation
Expert
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread