Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 01-09-2013, 01:09 AM   #16
CGIPadawan
Part-Time Blenderite

Giancarlo Ng
Quezon City, Philippines

Send a message via Yahoo to CGIPadawan
I'm not sure really about all these things.

It's a new kind of "wild west" era in terms of gaming. There's people putting Quad Cores on a Stick into USB slots of TV's running emulators for Neo Geo games that look as good as they did on AES systems no one could afford back then because they cost 10 times as much.

They're not the same games Piston or Ouya would run of course... But it's all pretty wild.

I think what's happening is all these companies (including Valve) are seeing these things coming out of people's basements or from China.. and they are looking for an angle to get in.

But it looks a bit scatter-brained at the moment.

Old 01-09-2013, 01:27 AM   #17
CKPinson
Expert

portfolio
CK Pinson
Network ADMIN
Govt
West Palm Beach, USA

Send a message via MSN to CKPinson
Over priced junk. Chip runs video too and he called it HIGHEND on the video interview on Gamespot.com

Old 01-09-2013, 01:37 AM   #18
moogaloonie
Expert
portfolio
Casey R Williams
Lansignum Studios
Morgantown, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apoclypse
Boy this next generation is going to be interesting for Sony and MS. One of the things the Ouya and Piston can do is to decrease the huge licensing costs and barrier to entry for indie developers. That up side is that we may get more interesting games instead of cookie cutter FPS games, the downside is that we may get more crap than usual. Sometimes you need someone to say this is crap, make it better.

But who can I trust to make that decision? Certainly not the fine folks at Nintendo who will let a rushed and botched version of Roller Coaster Tycoon out the door but can't find a publisher for something more ambitious such as the nearly complete but ultimately cancelled Conduit 3DS.

I miss the quirky games that used to come out of Japan back when it seemed you could still make pretty much anything you wanted. Now I can barely find something that piques my interest and when I do it turns out to be a rush job or holiday cash-in. Maybe the 3DS is the wrong place to expect quality control but someone actually gave a green light to a Transformers game in which the cars do not ever turn into robots.

Ever since Nintendo initiated the "Seal of Quality" people have been duped into thinking that certification or approval are some protection against crap games. If anything it's just a way of making sure those companies always get a cut and that nothing politically incorrect can tarnish the corporate image.

Old 01-09-2013, 11:49 PM   #19
CGIPadawan
Part-Time Blenderite

Giancarlo Ng
Quezon City, Philippines

THIS WAS A DUPLICATE OF THE POST BELOW.

Old 01-09-2013, 11:49 PM   #20
CGIPadawan
Part-Time Blenderite

Giancarlo Ng
Quezon City, Philippines

Quote:
Originally Posted by moogaloonie
But who can I trust to make that decision? Certainly not the fine folks at Nintendo who will let a rushed and botched version of Roller Coaster Tycoon out the door but can't find a publisher for something more ambitious such as the nearly complete but ultimately cancelled Conduit 3DS.

I miss the quirky games that used to come out of Japan back when it seemed you could still make pretty much anything you wanted. Now I can barely find something that piques my interest and when I do it turns out to be a rush job or holiday cash-in. Maybe the 3DS is the wrong place to expect quality control but someone actually gave a green light to a Transformers game in which the cars do not ever turn into robots.

Ever since Nintendo initiated the "Seal of Quality" people have been duped into thinking that certification or approval are some protection against crap games. If anything it's just a way of making sure those companies always get a cut and that nothing politically incorrect can tarnish the corporate image.

Well that would be one result of consoles that have no walls. JXD, Gamepark, and similar other Legacy based, Emulator powered consoles allow not just near perfect runs of those quirky old games you mentioned, but they also support the making of new homebrew games. the JXD in particular supports games made for Android.

All of them have little to no restrictions.

I don't think this necessarily reduces the control Nintendo, Sony, or Microsoft have because all these devices right now command small sales numbers. However, they are an outlet for players like you or me who occasionally want to travel back in time.

These devices are the opposite of what Nintendo is. In many cases they even have no security at all which is a throwback to the Konami-Tengen-Kaiser era of conveyor-belt-speed creation of unlicenced titles and - at least in these systems - back to a time when you could do whatever you want and there was a game for every taste.

That said, most of the time, I do love the newest games. There are plenty of good ones out there and I think if I accounted the time I spent on retro games vs new games, the new games would still win out.

It really looks like this whole Blue Ocean thing that Nintendo kicked off has branched out and gone berserk!

Old 01-10-2013, 04:03 PM   #21
DanHibiki
Expert

portfolio
- -
Senior 3d Animator
Invivo communications
Richmond Hill, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by entropymachine
If they ship it with Half Life 3 as their flagship, it will be the fastest selling console in History

cut camera to my wallet exploding out of my pants.

Old 01-10-2013, 04:13 PM   #22
BigPixolin
Banned

c none
US

Xi3's comparable hardware to the piston costs $999, at that price point it is impossible to be the fastest selling console in history. I can't see this being less than $600-$700 minimum.
I have been interested in this since the rumors started to fly to replace my 2008 Mac Pro running Win 8 connected to my TV as the main media device. Now that I see it and if it runs Linux I am no longer interested. I may just go with a Alienware X51 instead.

Old 01-10-2013, 05:53 PM   #23
WyattHarris
Daddy x 4

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Wyatt Harris
WyattHarris.com
Baton Rouge, USA

Well, price will be very important but having my entire Steam catalog available when I unbox the thing is a really good incentive. Definitely interested.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

Old 01-10-2013, 06:02 PM   #24
darthviper107
Expert

portfolio
Zachary Brackin
3D Artist
Precocity LLC
Dallas, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyattHarris
Well, price will be very important but having my entire Steam catalog available when I unbox the thing is a really good incentive. Definitely interested.

Any computer with a decent graphics card can do the same thing. Though the actual hardware Valve is working on will be using Linux so most of the Steam library won't be compatible.

Old 01-10-2013, 06:23 PM   #25
BigPixolin
Banned

c none
US

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthviper107
Any computer with a decent graphics card can do the same thing. Though the actual hardware Valve is working on will be using Linux so most of the Steam library won't be compatible.

I was going to say the same thing about any computer, and ask if the complete library would run on Linux.

I'm sure one of the factors to go with Linux is to keep costs down, but I think we are being marketed Gabe Newells personal opinion on Windows.

It won't even have a Netflix app, that is a sign of a lot of things it won't have.

Old 01-10-2013, 06:26 PM   #26
grrinc
Expert

I'm already sold. I use Steam with the Big Picture functionality. I too have a Steam library that I have invested heavily in, including many indie games that I play to death. I would, however, like to put my desktop PC back where it belongs ( the office ) and keep my gaming and 'serious' work separate.

I also, perhaps naively, believe Valve to genuinely support gamers and their developers. That's a big plus to me.

Old 01-10-2013, 06:32 PM   #27
darthviper107
Expert

portfolio
Zachary Brackin
3D Artist
Precocity LLC
Dallas, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPixolin
I was going to say the same thing about any computer, and ask if the complete library would run on Linux.

I'm sure one of the factors to go with Linux is to keep costs down, but I think we are being marketed Gabe Newells personal opinion on Windows.

It won't even have a Netflix app, that is a sign of a lot of things it won't have.

I thin the main reason they want to go with Linux is so that they don't have to compete with the Windows app store, that's already the reason there isn't a Steam app for Windows 8

Old 01-10-2013, 06:38 PM   #28
japetus
3D Trickster

portfolio
Mike Hanson
3D Artist
[:|] Straightface Studios
Seattle, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthviper107
I thin the main reason they want to go with Linux is so that they don't have to compete with the Windows app store, that's already the reason there isn't a Steam app for Windows 8

Wait, you can' use Steam on Windows 8? How would I go about playing TF2 and such then? What about Origin for BF3?? I'm still happily on Win7. Most of my experience with W8 has been through the Surface which I know isn't a fully featured version.

Old 01-10-2013, 06:53 PM   #29
BigPixolin
Banned

c none
US

Steam works on the Win 8 and Win 8 pro desktop side. There just isn't a Steam app for Metro in Win 8 and Steam won't run on Win 8 RT

Old 01-10-2013, 06:53 PM   #30
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread