Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 09-22-2012, 02:50 PM   #16
viktore
Explorer

portfolio
Viktore
., Canada

Hey vlad, that's a great question. I've been looking for an answer all night, but somehow, I can't find any. I should probably contact corsair directly. Do you know if 2x h80 fit in a Obsidian 800D?

I was also considering getting Noctua's U9DXs, but there seems to be a problem in fitting 2 side by side for dual Xeons with most mother board.

Old 09-22-2012, 05:42 PM   #17
vlad
Expert

2 h80 would problably fit since you have 3 120mm fan sockets on top.

Old 09-22-2012, 09:11 PM   #18
dmeyer
raaaaaerrrrrrrrr!

designer
de-zy-nur
USA

Standard 800D has a 360 radiator space up top so 2x h100 will not fit without expanding that hole. A 480 radiator can be made to fit in that case, (so 2x H100 could likely fit, but you'd have to cut steel).

E5-2687w Xeons are both faster and cheaper.

Old 09-22-2012, 10:58 PM   #19
viktore
Explorer

portfolio
Viktore
., Canada

Thumbs up

Hey Vlad - yea I figured it was best to get the h80s at the moment as it will fit for sure. Actually, just came back from my local store and bought 2 of them, the 800D case and 1200w power supply. Exciting to see the machine slowly starting to take shape!

dmeyer, I can't believe I didn't see the E5-2687w before, you just saved me $600!
So with the Z9PE motherboard, will it run the processors with Turbo Boost at 3.8GHz automatically?
Or to I need to do something to "activate" it?

Almost there. Only need to sort out the GPU now.

The safest choice, best quality/price option is to get the Quadro 4000.
There are tons of threads about this... contradictions all over the place.
Are the Fire Pro a better option, in your experience?
I also see many people doing a dual GTX 680 or similar type of configuration.
Like these guys for example: http://tinyurl.com/9dm2bsg
The GTX are tempting, cause you can put 2 in your system for the price of a Quadro and have much more Vram...
I'm opened to go with 2x quadro 4000 or 5000 if I can be convince it's worth the cost.

I should probably specify what software I use:
50% Maya + Vray
20% 3Ds max + Vray
15% Zbrush
15% Dynamics and fluid simulations (this will be covered by the CPU though)

I think I'm ready to order the remaining parts as soon as the GPU is figured out...

I appreciate the amazing help everyone!

Old 09-22-2012, 11:13 PM   #20
viktore
Explorer

portfolio
Viktore
., Canada

Forgot to mention about the Quadro K5000 which I saw on nvidia's website, but I don't think it's available yet. Quite a beast for the money. If it is available somewhere, please let me know, I'll buy one right away.

Also, AMD and Nvidia both have their own benefits. How about getting one of each? Is that even possible? You probably can't SLI them... I guess one of them would have the monitors connected to it and the other one is only used for GPU renderings?

Old 09-23-2012, 03:35 AM   #21
vlad
Expert

If you' re not doing any gpu rendering (you didnt mention anything about it), dual graphic cards will do nothing for you. No 3d soft (or any other content creation app afaik) supports SLI. And if you do, memory isnt cumulative between the 2 gpus, so a scene has to completely fit in whatever memory you have on one card.
I dont use Maya, so I have no idea how Quadros perform vs Geforces or ATIs, but in Max, Quadros dont offer much more than top Geforces, even for double or triple the cost.

Old 09-23-2012, 05:44 AM   #22
viktore
Explorer

portfolio
Viktore
., Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlad
If you' re not doing any gpu rendering (you didnt mention anything about it), dual graphic cards will do nothing for you. No 3d soft (or any other content creation app afaik) supports SLI. And if you do, memory isnt cumulative between the 2 gpus, so a scene has to completely fit in whatever memory you have on one card.
I dont use Maya, so I have no idea how Quadros perform vs Geforces or ATIs, but in Max, Quadros dont offer much more than top Geforces, even for double or triple the cost.

I will be doing gpu renderings, for preview purpose mostly. There are a lot of youtube videos showing rigs with 4 gtx and doing vray rt with all 4 of them as well as other cards. I dont have much experience with gpus, but there's no way a dual gpu setup won't help rendering?

Old 09-23-2012, 02:09 PM   #23
vlad
Expert

Like I said, multiple gpus will help in gpu rendering (not cpu rendering), but even though you have 10 gpus on your system, your scene will have to fit in the one that has the least amount of memory. If it's 3gb, you cannot load a scene bigger than that. That's the most obvious drawback. I dont know what kind of 3D work you do, but my archviz scenes often reach over 20 gb. I do own VrayRT, but the gpu driven version is no use for me, even tho I use 2 cards (3 monitors). Not to mention the other limitations still inherent to gpu rendering. So if you know you'll have use for it, then go ahead.

Old 09-23-2012, 02:59 PM   #24
dmeyer
raaaaaerrrrrrrrr!

designer
de-zy-nur
USA

Yes, the motherboard will run it at the max Turbo assuming things are setup properly in the bios. Set it to auto at first and see how it goes.

K5000 is shipping within weeks so if you're buying now, personally i might try to get bye with a cheap card for now.

Old 09-23-2012, 03:00 PM   #25
dmeyer
raaaaaerrrrrrrrr!

designer
de-zy-nur
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by viktore
Forgot to mention about the Quadro K5000 which I saw on nvidia's website, but I don't think it's available yet. Quite a beast for the money. If it is available somewhere, please let me know, I'll buy one right away.

Also, AMD and Nvidia both have their own benefits. How about getting one of each? Is that even possible? You probably can't SLI them... I guess one of them would have the monitors connected to it and the other one is only used for GPU renderings?

ATI and nVidia cards in the same machine is generally a bad idea on windows.

Old 09-23-2012, 03:00 PM   #26
CGTalk Moderation
Expert
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread