3D Enthusiast

portfolio
Teo Almonte
3d Enthusiast TrulyAmped.com
TrulyAmped.com
Brooklyn, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThE_JacO
You don't need 1666Mhz memory unless you plan to OC for the number fetish aspect of it (the CPU itself OCs best on multiplier anyway). I would say no, you don't need it.
As for running just 2+2, it depends on the motherboard. In theory and for probably the majority of cases yes, you can, and it will hardly have a perceivable impact (it will have a bit as the controller works best off triplets for channel sync). You do still have a chance to run into problems on some motherboards; personally on mine I did when I had to go 2+2 for a bit on my 920 a while ago.

If you buy used or left-over kits there are plenty singles, 2x4 and 3x4 around for peanuts. At least around here it's easy enough to find unused old stock 2x4 for 30 bucks.
You can always try it, and if it doesn't work out buy one more (ideally same brand and batch) and add it in.

alright sounds good, and right now i have 4 4gb cards and 2 1gb cards. It shouldn't be an issue right?
what's the worse that can happen

also is this the graphic card everyone is talking about link good deal?

Old 07-11-2014, 02:42 AM   #17
ThE_JacO
MOBerator-X

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Raffaele Fragapane
That Creature Dude
Animal Logic
Sydney, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by teoalmonte
alright sounds good, and right now i have 4 4gb cards and 2 1gb cards. It shouldn't be an issue right?
what's the worse that can happen

Assuming with cards you meam ram modules, It will be an issue if you mix size inside a triplet.
You can't have three solts with 4GB, and the other three with mixed sizes.
You can decouple across channels (triplets for your chipset), but not within the triplet.

Worst that can happen is you will not get even to POST in the boot. You won't be doing any physical damage to anything though.

Free Maya Nodes

Old 07-11-2014, 06:36 AM   #18
Srek
Some guy

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Björn Dirk Marl
Technical Design
Maxon Computer GmbH
Friedrichsdorf, Germany

As ThE_JacO said, don't try to mix modules and if possible stick to triplets. Check my posting on this again to see the options you should take into account.

Quote:
also is this the graphic card everyone is talking about link good deal?

Looks like an ok deal, though you don't realy need the superclocked version. If money is an issue get the non superclocked one for a tenner less. http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-...ywords=GTX750Ti

Last edited by Srek : 07-11-2014 at 06:40 AM.

Old 07-11-2014, 08:13 AM   #19
imashination
Expert

portfolio
Matthew ONeill
3D Fluff
United Kingdom

Thats quite an odd machine you have there. Your cpu is still pretty good, in terms of rendering it still goes head to head with the newest 4 core i7 chips, so if you wanna save some money, I'd actually just look at upgrading the other components, because theyre dreadful!

I would upgrade the ram, I cant understand how so little ram was ever paired with that cpu. Its like a set of $2000 wheels on a $500 car. Your cpu comes from the triple channel memory era so you likely have 6 memory slots, fill it all up, you will probably max out at 24 gigs but thats a massive upgrade over your 3. As for ddr3 vs 4... meh, dont hold off a purchase because of that, the speed difference will hardly register. Your motherboard will likely top out at 4 gig modules.

Same for the gfx card, the 240 card was dreadful even when it was new, go grab something between a 750ti and a 780ti, whatever your budget stretches to.

Overclock the cpu. This is very straightforward, just enter the bio and look for the frequency next to the multiplier, it will be a value of around 140 or so, bump this up 2-3 at a time until you get a good 10-20% speed boost. The setting might be labelled BCLK.

Quote:
I don't understand why people get weird about Alienware... they may be a bit overpriced, but they're definitely not crap computers.

Did you see the specs of the gaming computer they sold him? Top end 6 core CPU paired with ultra budget cheapo gfx card and the absolute minimum amount of ram the system can run with. That is a terrible computer config.

Old 07-11-2014, 02:40 PM   #20
olson
Houdini|Python|Linux
portfolio
Luke Olson
Dallas, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by imashination
I would upgrade the ram, I cant understand how so little ram was ever paired with that cpu. Its like a set of $2000 wheels on a $500 car.

I knew you'd come around eventually. Car analogies for the win.

Old 07-11-2014, 06:06 PM   #21
teoalmonte
3D Enthusiast

portfolio
Teo Almonte
TrulyAmped.com
Brooklyn, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThE_JacO
Assuming with cards you meam ram modules, It will be an issue if you mix size inside a triplet.
You can't have three solts with 4GB, and the other three with mixed sizes.
You can decouple across channels (triplets for your chipset), but not within the triplet.

Worst that can happen is you will not get even to POST in the boot. You won't be doing any physical damage to anything though.

Alright, yeah I meant modules. I had 3x1gb inside- i removed one and then i bought two packs of modules each came with 2x4gb. So with the 1gb removed i placed the 4x4gb cards in the empty slots. My computer booted up okay but if you recommend I not mess around with the triplets. Should I
A:remove the 1gb modules and just place the 2 2x4gb (so 4x4gb in total) modules I have?
B:Return the 2x4gb and 2x4gb and buy a 4x4gb or 6x4gb pack instead (I just ask because i don't know if it makes a difference if the come in the space pack or not)
C:something else

@Srek thanks i'll most likely get that one then and yeah I was going to do option 3 but they only sold 2x4gb not a 3x4gb so i bought two of the 2x4gb instead.. i hope that's okay and won't do anything wrong to my computer. (A buddy of mine works at bestbuy so he got me like 50% off and i got the PNY 2x4gb - 2 packs)

@imashination ..yeah i know what you mean I looked at my computer cause i havent been using it for 3+yrs since i've been traveling and away in college and when i saw 3gb i was like wtf did i seriously buy this ram with the computer...haha
and yes 24gb is my max- currently have 18gb in total- don't know if that's okay but i'm a noob. and i might get the 750i or 760 depending on how i am feeling performance vs price wise.

Okay i'll look at the bios, i'm never done overclocking before but i will give it a try hopefully nothing goes wrong.

and yes i was pretty dumb (still am a bit when it comes to cpuparts haha), I was like 15/16 and just wanted something cool and i bought into it and got an alienware. But yeah i know to never do that again.
-oh and thanks for the pm, helpful too

edit: this is what im getting for ram -_- and if it says 3.20ghz what am i actually using then? and how high can it go if i overlock it.. (/facepalm i know haha ) cpuz is showing 18gb though and detects all the modules

Last edited by teoalmonte : 07-11-2014 at 06:41 PM.

Old 07-11-2014, 06:32 PM   #22
Srek
Some guy

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Björn Dirk Marl
Technical Design
Maxon Computer GmbH
Friedrichsdorf, Germany

Quote:
@Srek thanks i'll most likely get that one then and yeah I was going to do option 3 but they only sold 2x4gb not a 3x4gb so i bought two of the 2x4gb instead.. i hope that's okay and won't do anything wrong to my computer. (A buddy of mine works at bestbuy so he got me like 50% off and i got the PNY 2x4gb - 2 packs)

at 50% discount get another pair of two 4GB sticks and just stick all six in the system, provided of course the packages you get hold identical module types.
Running in twin, instead of triplet, configuration will very likely work, but the memory performance will be reduced. I had a system like yours a while ago and mine wasn't stable with twin configurations.

Old 07-11-2014, 06:38 PM   #23
teoalmonte
3D Enthusiast

portfolio
Teo Almonte
TrulyAmped.com
Brooklyn, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srek
at 50% discount get another pair of two 4GB sticks and just stick all six in the system, provided of course the packages you get hold identical module types.
Running in twin, instead of triplet, configuration will very likely work, but the memory performance will be reduced. I had a system like yours a while ago and mine wasn't stable with twin configurations.

oh.. and how exactly unstable? should i just return the modules and buy them online that are 3x4gb and 3x4gb then? if the two are not as good and stable

edit: this is my bios and I'm trying to figure out why the ram isn't being used and how to overclock since it was recommended.

edit: i removed th 2gb (2x1gb) i think it's better now

Last edited by teoalmonte : 07-11-2014 at 07:50 PM.

Old 07-11-2014, 08:02 PM   #24
imashination
Expert

portfolio
Matthew ONeill
3D Fluff
United Kingdom

Its likely that youll need to be careful which slots the memory sticks are in. The triple channel motherboards were often picky about what slots were used. If you pair up the wrong slots then some memory will be seen, but unusable, thats why removing the older 1 gig sticks nets you more ram.

Honestly, if it runs fine, Id stick with the ram you have for a bit and see how you get on. 14 gigs is a perfectly good amount which shouldnt limit you much.

Overclocking on that cpu is just a question of bumping up the bclk value, the higher it goes, the faster it runs. Nudge it up 5-10 to begin with and see how stable it is for a few days, if its all fine then nudge it up again, youll find the point where it starts crashing.

Old 07-11-2014, 09:40 PM   #25
teoalmonte
3D Enthusiast

portfolio
Teo Almonte
TrulyAmped.com
Brooklyn, USA

Quote:
Its likely that youll need to be careful which slots the memory sticks are in. The triple channel motherboards were often picky about what slots were used. If you pair up the wrong slots then some memory will be seen, but unusable, thats why removing the older 1 gig sticks nets you more ram.

Honestly, if it runs fine, Id stick with the ram you have for a bit and see how you get on. 14 gigs is a perfectly good amount which shouldnt limit you much.

Overclocking on that cpu is just a question of bumping up the bclk value, the higher it goes, the faster it runs. Nudge it up 5-10 to begin with and see how stable it is for a few days, if its all fine then nudge it up again, youll find the point where it starts crashing.

yeah i am going to stick with the 4x4gb for now, thanks. it seems to be working fine and maybe in the future if i need it ill see to upgrade with two more slots. Also for nudging the cpu bclk is there a good way to check performance? i'll probably only add 10 today.

and i also bought a new 750ti gpuboost sc video card. I should remove the old 250 right?

Old 07-11-2014, 10:37 PM   #26
imashination
Expert

portfolio
Matthew ONeill
3D Fluff
United Kingdom

stick the old 250 in a draw for an emergency one day, its of no use in your computer.

Personally I'd use cinebench to test the speed. Its a relevant test which gives you a good idea about real-world gains. Synthetic tests can be too heavily swayed by ram speed and caches.

Old 07-14-2014, 08:11 PM   #27
teoalmonte
3D Enthusiast

portfolio
Teo Almonte
TrulyAmped.com
Brooklyn, USA

Quote:
stick the old 250 in a draw for an emergency one day, its of no use in your computer.

Personally I'd use cinebench to test the speed. Its a relevant test which gives you a good idea about real-world gains. Synthetic tests can be too heavily swayed by ram speed and caches.

Yeah the new 750 and the gigs have been working just fine. Huge improvement overall.

I have also been using Cinebench to measure my performance and have been getting around 110fps and 960cb. A lot faster then my original setup and a lot faster then what i would have without the overclock. So far i have brought it up to 170 blck i believe and it is 4.10ghz. It is stable but i may try and continue to bump it till it starts to crash.

thanks for your help and everyone elses help. I am always open to new comments regarding my rig or any improvements that can be made.

Old 07-14-2014, 11:11 PM   #28
ThE_JacO
MOBerator-X

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Raffaele Fragapane
That Creature Dude
Animal Logic
Sydney, Australia

Quote:
Yeah the new 750 and the gigs have been working just fine. Huge improvement overall.

I have also been using Cinebench to measure my performance and have been getting around 110fps and 960cb. A lot faster then my original setup and a lot faster then what i would have without the overclock. So far i have brought it up to 170 blck i believe and it is 4.10ghz. It is stable but i may try and continue to bump it till it starts to crash.

thanks for your help and everyone elses help. I am always open to new comments regarding my rig or any improvements that can be made.

Enjoy your newly found speed in peace with no hardware lust until at least Q1 next year now
It'll do you good. When the DDR4 and host equipped GPUs will have settled in price, then it might be a good moment to look at hardware again, until then squeeze the current one you have, it's far from underpowered and you got pretty good bang for buck out of this pass IMO.

Free Maya Nodes

Old 07-15-2014, 08:33 AM   #29
imashination
Expert

portfolio
Matthew ONeill
3D Fluff
United Kingdom

Sounds great, that should keep you going for a few years. Just keep an eye on the cpu temperatures to start with and make sure your heatsink metal fins are nice and clean as your system will be putting out more heat now. 'Realtemp' is a simple free monitor.

reply share thread