AutoCAD is now available in the browser!!

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

2 Weeks Ago
AutoCAD is now available in the browser!!

I just saw the video on this page:

Google IO

I wonder what repercussions that has for the computing world in general, and, CG in particular as well.....?

2 Weeks Ago
As I said in earlier threads, WebAssembly or "Wasm" is intended to do exactly this:

https://webassembly.org/

You can program a complex software once, then run it at good speed in any browser on any OS. So the idea of powerful software running in a browser is coming closer and closer.

The good news: When you need to remote-access a 3D or CAD or video editing software over the web, through a browser, that will now be possible.

The bad news: Everything will go cloud - someday, you may not be allowed to even install software on your local device anymore. They will force you to access it remotely over the internet.

2 Weeks Ago
I think I'll start a thread where people can list their favourite web-based digital art softwares.... I already posted a whole bunch once, but - mods, any chance you could make this a sticky?

2 Weeks Ago
Originally Posted by skeebertus:
The bad news: Everything will go cloud - someday, you may not be allowed to even install software on your local device anymore. They will force you to access it remotely over the internet.
Bro - because it's coming down from a server does NOT mean it can't get installed locally, as I said in the other thread. It would surely be EXTREMELY wasteful for the whole damn thing to download every time someone wanted to use it. I think Javascript "localStorage" is what makes this possible - if you're a JS guy, you could Google it or something - I'm not knowledgable about it myself - yet.

1 Week Ago
Originally Posted by iamhereintheworld: Bro - because it's coming down from a server does NOT mean it can't get installed locally, as I said in the other thread. It would surely be EXTREMELY wasteful for the whole damn thing to download every time someone wanted to use it. I think Javascript "localStorage" is what makes this possible - if you're a JS guy, you could Google it or something - I'm not knowledgable about it myself - yet.

In 2025 you may still have 95% of AutoCAD, Maya, Max or any other software sitting on your local computer. But very likely, the 5% of critical core code that makes the application work in the first place you will need to load off of a cloud server - in a few seconds and heavily encrypted - each time you run the software by then. Stuff just won't run locally like today anymore.

The chief reason useless cloud gaming services like Steam, UPlay and Origin were built & financed in the first place was to get maybe 500 to 700 Million young gamers used to the idea that anything you own software wise in the future - whether game or productivity software - has to be bought with a credit card and tied into the internet cloud in some way or the other.

By the time these kids are in their mid 20s or early 30s, you can bet your ass that no major software will work without an internet connection and the cloud at all anymore.

Literally the only stuff that will work like today will be open-source software then, and maybe some smaller softwares trying to stay old-fashioned.

You may think "Surely nobody will take things that far?"

The answer is yes, very likely they will take things that far. Software that doesn't run at all unless you are internet connected each time you load the software.

Internet connections by then will probably be 10 to 20 times faster than today, and internet will be everywhere. So loading CAD or 3D software off of a remote server will take seconds - no more than loading off a harddisk or SSD today.

1 Week Ago
Originally Posted by skeebertus: In 2025 you may still have 95% of AutoCAD, Maya, Max or any other software sitting on your local computer. But very likely, the 5% of critical core code that makes the application work in the first place you will need to load off of a cloud server - in a few seconds and heavily encrypted - each time you run the software by then. Stuff just won't run locally like today anymore.

The chief reason useless cloud gaming services like Steam, UPlay and Origin were built & financed in the first place was to get maybe 500 to 700 Million young gamers used to the idea that anything you own software wise in the future - whether game or productivity software - has to be bought with a credit card and tied into the internet cloud in some way or the other.

By the time these kids are in their mid 20s or early 30s, you can bet your ass that no major software will work without an internet connection and the cloud at all anymore.

Literally the only stuff that will work like today will be open-source software then, and maybe some smaller softwares trying to stay old-fashioned.

The answer is yes, very likely they will take things that far. Software that doesn't run at all unless you are internet connected each time you load the software.

Internet connections by then will probably be 10 to 20 times faster than today, and internet will be everywhere. So loading CAD or 3D software off of a remote server will take seconds - no more than loading off a harddisk or SSD today.

well if that does happen, then old dinosaurs like myself will buy the last hard copy version and pull the internet plug when we want to use it.

1 Week Ago
If this is perhaps indeed where software is heading then I for one will stop using software that requires a continuous connection to the internet. No one needs to think to hard to know why this is rather ridiculous. So what options? Use what software is left that stays off of the internet, use older software that is still useful or find another occupation. Either way I do not look forward to the future of software use. The cloud could vaporize as far as I am concerned.† The last thing I need is to be connected to the internet more then I want to be. It seems like an additional invasion of privacy, lack of freedom to use what I want and a violation of property rights based on something I purchased which I supposedly own.

Last edited by PA00 : 1 Week Ago at 11:47 PM.

1 Week Ago
Originally Posted by skeebertus: In 2025 you may still have 95% of AutoCAD, Maya, Max or any other software sitting on your local computer. But very likely, the 5% of critical core code that makes the application work in the first place you will need to load off of a cloud server - in a few seconds and heavily encrypted - each time you run the software by then. Stuff just won't run locally like today anymore.

Yeah - so? I'm not seeing the problem....that prevents piracy, doesn't it? I see no reason it will take a net connection to run, it'll probably just take one to authenticate, from some serverwhen it starts up, ie. just to verify that you've paid your bills. Which is a concept that I kind of happen to LIKE!!

I agree with you that Steam is useless (though I've used it very little) - I saw no point of the thing when I first saw it - like, you can d/l games off of the web itself, right? So...I never got what the thing actually *was*, and hence, never used it.

You don't know what speed internet will be - do you really wanna take out all the Fiber that's been laid underground and underwater, and do the whole thing AGAIN every couple of years? Or mobile towers??

1 Week Ago
Originally Posted by PA00: If this is perhaps indeed where software is heading then I for one will stop using software that requires a continuous connection to the internet
Once again - it will NOT! I think this is already testable - if you have Chrome, click "Apps", get something, then switch off your net and try running it - it damn well SHOULD work. Of course, it depends how each software has been programmed by its programmers, but at the very least Chrome will show you what apps you have installed. INSTALLED. No net required to use it again!!

1 Week Ago
...and I just read this:

Progressive Web Apps

The "Whatís also cool is that if" part under the "Letís talk about progressive web apps. Forgive my ignorance, but what exactly are they?" question basically confirms what I said, above.

Last edited by iamhereintheworld : 1 Week Ago at 05:45 PM.

1 Week Ago
OK, I looked it up, it wasn't localStorage, it was something called "Application Cache Manifest", if there are any coders here.

...and I TESTED it - with a game called "Swoop" I had d/l'd, worked just fine.....

reply share thread