RCAF Fleet 16 "Finch"

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

01 January 2018
Another thing that I will model is the fully enclosed canopy which was the standard configuration of the RCAF at the time which is a bit of a conversion kit so to say.

Finished the stowage bin cover directly behind the rear cockpit and started working on the front landing gear. Slightly slower week as I did not have as much time available.

Cobra6
LinkedIn

01 January 2018
Main landing gear pretty much complete, the wheel hub itself and the tire are hard to find proper ref on but the tire itself looks plain and smooth in the old photos I have which is kind of odd.

Also I did start on the tail wheel but that is not in a state to show yet.

Cobra6
LinkedIn

03 March 2018
I'm still working on finishing the model itself, the last couple of weeks have been quite busy with other things and I'm really struggling with the winter canopy (enclosed hood) because I've got very little accurate photographic evidence, no measurements of anything and there are a lot of custom "hack" jobs around as well.

All in all, more difficult than the exhaust shroud it turns out
LinkedIn

03 March 2018
Have no doubts that in the end you will get it.. Keep going can't wait to see some textures on this bird!

03 March 2018
After a lot of nudging and moving verts around I think I'm finally in a good spot for this winter canopy. It was quite the challenge to get the basics right when you are working off 3 photos of the (correct) canopy mounted and 2 photos of it in parts on the floor without any factory drawings for basic measurements or mounting points.
The windscreen in particular has got quite a bit of challenging angles behind the struts which were fun.
There are still details missing on it like the locking mechanisms etc. which I'll model next.

Additionally to the winter hood I've also modelled in two additional intakes in the exhaust shrouds that function to draw in hot air to heat the cockpit by taking in air directly behind the cylinder head.

After finishing the canopy I'll add a plug to the bottom of the cowling for the starter and one or two tiny details and then it's finished in terms of modelling.

Cobra6
LinkedIn

03 March 2018
The model is finally finished, managed to sort out the details and change a few bits that needed changing:

LinkedIn

03 March 2018

LinkedIn

03 March 2018
Wireframe:

LinkedIn

reply share thread