Realistic Human Body Learning Path

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

09 September 2013
Realistic Human Body Learning Path

Hello hello!

Well, Im kinda of an amateur 3D artist and Softimage user for quite some time but looks that I like to start something, stop in the middle and restart it again, so I found that the modelling techniques I used are not the best anymore, so here's my questions:

1- Im used to model in the 'box modeling way' from stratch to end but looks like thats not the standard nor the best way anymore. So I ask: whats the best way?
2- Is it possible to model a realistic human body without ZBrush (I really cant get used to it)?
3- Whats the best way/software to paint a human skin?
4- Is there a learning path tutorial covering these things?

Thanks a lot!

09 September 2013
Quote: 1- Im used to model in the 'box modeling way' from stratch to end but looks like thats not the standard nor the best way anymore. So I ask: whats the best way?

You can use box style modeling for human characters, but you need to have a basic understanding of anatomy to get the best mesh made. The best way is the way that gets the best results fast, and for many Box modeling is one such way. In either case using a good reference is somewhat essential. I use a combination of Patch poly by poly method with Box modeling, they kind of work hand in hand for me, but of course it would be too much to explain the workflow in detail, but there are plenty of modeling tutorials out there.

Quote: 2- Is it possible to model a realistic human body without ZBrush (I really cant get used to it)?

Yes, but again you need to have some anatomy knowledge, as without that no matter what method or tools you use it will never look realistic. Zbrush has its pros and cons, and using Zsphears, Dynamesh you can achieve a very realistic look human, but then have to retopologize it for it to be of use for animation purposes, I prefer to just make the base with all topology in place to start with in my modeling app, it works out faster for me. Zbrush is well worth sticking at, and will be a great aid to your pipeline once you get to know its strengths.

Quote: 3- Whats the best way/software to paint a human skin?

Best ways in 3D are somewhat limited to the individual. There is the best way for realistic details, best way for speed, do you want to literally paint, or to project skin?

If you wish to hand paint then Zbrush, Mudbox to mention only two of many can achieve this. If you a reasonable artist then this is a good method with a ballance of speed, and quality. Upping from that using Zapplink with Photoshop with direct to Texture map transfer will produce greater results, same if you using just Photoshop alone to patch from very high res references.

Quote: 4- Is there a learning path tutorial covering these things?

The good news is yes there is, but the bad news is you wont find it from one source. The skills to model, sculpt, paint are all different skill sets that require their own training. Short of going to a school for higher education, you left to seek out video training that deal with your requirements. If your just starting out with character creation, start at the bottom and work your way up, learn basic anatomy, use Zbrush to help you with this with books videos, maybe take a Scott Eaton course if your serious. You cant build without a plan, and understanding the basic road map of the human body will help you plan good topology with proportion, form from the ground up. Certain edge loops must be in place to retain some anatomical features, and function for animation.

Check out Gnomon workshop, and Digital Tutors, both have the training you require.

Dan.

Last edited by Rectro : 09 September 2013 at 02:59 PM.

09 September 2013
Looks like Im going the right way (as far as possible), since speed is not a priority to me and I'm my 'hand made textures' are pretty good.
Guess I only have to spend more time in a perfect image

09 September 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread