save SOFTIMAGE - petition

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

03 March 2014
save SOFTIMAGE - petition

If YOU care...
https://www.change.org/petitions/au...-save-softimage

regards

03 March 2014
I copied it from main thread in news section. Don't kill me for not being XSI user and bringing this into. It's not to tease any softimagers - more like support
I am max user but I want to see Softimage taken from Autodesk and to be developed further. I got a glimpse of how cool XSI is/was

Quote: Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolCalb
why would people buy XSI if Autodesk never really marketed it?
they did every effort to hide Softimage, and tried to market it as a sophisticated plugin addition to maya or max.. which is a joke in itself..

Im not disagreeing with that, just telling the guy a petition is worthless here.
Ppl sure do like their online petitions, its so much easier than actually doing something usefull...

If you guys really think autodesk did something illegal in some way, maybe its better for the XSI users/comminity who think they were cheated in some way to unite (massfund) and consult a lawyer. If you find enough ppl it might not even cost that much...

Maybe this could bring onto the table something autodesk will understand. If they don't get artist or straight language maybe idea of talking with them on their lame corporate stock-market advertising language with an elements of corrupt lawyer mambo-jambo in between will get some momentum?

Somebody accountants and upper management suites had to be put into room and experience a massive banana throws at them. Mostly by XSI users but with additional support (like Creative Extension) from all the rest CG artists. Who they think they are to take the tools away with force and greed.

03 March 2014
4000 Signatures to date means the demand for XSI is low in the industry, mind you this petition includes both Paid and No paid XSI users!!!

Before Autodesk bought XSI it was fully marketed through Avid, but even they couldn't find it profitable. No one argues that XSI is far superior in many areas, but if you have a user base of 4000 only, and assuming all are legit users, that's a pretty small business to run and support.

Cheers

03 March 2014
Forget it and move on.
Even if you manage to get 4 millions on that petition the decision has been made weeks or months ago. The only thing that could change AD's mind about how to treat it's users is to switch to an non-AD product.

Last edited by scrimski : 03 March 2014 at 07:28 AM.

03 March 2014
only 4000! a little

04 April 2014
After 2016 Softimage will no longer be supported. Does this mean it is going to be free thereafter? If so, will it go in the same direction as Blender with its strong community support?
If that is going to be the case, I am really looking forward to it.

04 April 2014
Originally Posted by gandan: After 2016 Softimage will no longer be supported. Does this mean it is going to be free thereafter? If so, will it go in the same direction as Blender with its strong community support?
If that is going to be the case, I am really looking forward to it.

I would think it unlikely in the extreme that AUTODESK would ever release a tool like Softimage in to the wild for free as this would create extremely compelling and direct industry tested competition to Maya and MAX at a literally unbeatable price point. A free and open Softimage would have even more potential to cut into AUTODESKs bottom line than Blender has ever had.

No I believe that once Softimage dies it will be in AUTODESKs best interest to keep it dead (sadly).

04 April 2014
It's wrong to discourage people to voice their positions on this, even if there are a relatively small number of voices to be heard. I am under no delusions that ADSK will release SI, as they have so much invested in it. It would be foolish on their part from a business perspective. That said, it is important that the users are heard. You never know what makes a difference somewhere down the line.

It is much better that ADSK knows that 4000 people object than to believe their decisions matter to absolutely no one.

reply share thread