Attaching a "rope" to another mesh for animation

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

07 July 2012
Attaching a "rope" to another mesh for animation

Hey there!

I'm a beginner animator and I just modeled a trebuchet which I want to animate. I ran into a problem which I'm not really sure if it should go into rigging, modeling or animation but here goes.

http://i.imgur.com/iNXzL.png

There are 3 parts to it; the arm + counterweight, the body, and the rope along with the end there which you can turn to lower the arm.

The 2 red circles mark what I want to essentially "glue" into place. So when I rotate the arm the rope will follow along. How would I do this? I wouldn't mind changing it around since the 2 ropes are just cylinders.

I use 3ds max

Help is much appreciated!

07 July 2012
I was gonna make a new thread, but you already asked the same question.
My situation is;

I would like the cord to be wrapped around the pulley, like a real one would do.

My idea was to animate the cord using, splines, or bones. But I am not sure how they would fit.

Since there are no other answers, what did you think about to solve this problem?

07 July 2012
You need to simulate in the animation or just make those edges stick to the pole?

You can select those vertex and apply a linkedXform to make it stick to the pole surface.

If your idea is to simulate you would have to use cloth and make a group for those vertexes and attach them to the pole surface (depending on the max version you are using you could use rope from Reactor).

Regards and good luck with your project.
Hope this could be of help.

07 July 2012
As I found out, splines and path deform modifier, gets the job half done.
Howewer there is another problem.

So, the cord wraps around the pulley, but its start point is not fixed, and it would look like it's sliding around the pulley even if the pulley rotated.

-----------------------
Oh wait, your question is different. Its a bit late, but why dont you skin the vertices to some bones to keep them at place?

Last edited by hiredblade : 08 August 2012 at 08:41 PM.

07 July 2012
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread