Projecting sculpt onto new mesh?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

09 September 2012
Projecting sculpt onto new mesh?

I've stupidly saved a decimated version of a sculpt over the non-decimated version. I still have the base mesh I started sculpting from and know the subdivs required for the amount of detail I had prior to decimation. Now, the decimation was just a test, I planned on continuing my sculpting, which is now not doable because of buggered up geometry.

But I know (or at least I think I do) that there is a way to project details from a reference mesh to another mesh. Since I can recover the topology but not the details, I should be able to project them back onto my original topology, right? But how?

09 September 2012
take your decimated one and subdivide it a few time and press geometry>Freeze subdivision levels
if you have symmetry turn it on and press geometry>QRemesher (turn on auto mask)
then UN Freeze subdivision levels and clear mask when its done and you new mesh will show and be projected back on with new and better topology
see here more tweaking its really simple
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...f=140&t=1065334

http://i.imgur.com/v8vw6.png

Last edited by informerman : 09 September 2012 at 08:33 PM.

09 September 2012
Will this work with a really high-detail sculpt, though? My hand, the sculpt I was working on, was at the point of decimation 4,6mil polys, almost done sculpting folds and pores, and I don't want to have to redo that, if it can be avoided :|

09 September 2012
QRemesher it and get the basic shape back, you may need to set the QRemesher Target polygon slider up a bit but not to much you just want to get the basic shape with low polys and after that subdivide it more if need, once you get the shape back append your high detail one with pores in subtools and select your QRemesher mesh and press tool>subtool>project all
you may need to adjust the DIST slider by project all,,

project all only 1 time if it dont look right UNDO and move the dist slider,
dont keep pressing project all

http://i.imgur.com/6dqzk.png

Last edited by informerman : 09 September 2012 at 09:02 PM.

09 September 2012
Since I'm a bit of a novice sculptor, I tend to work a fair bit up and down in the subdiv levels. While QRemesher worked fine to get the topology back into working order, it would rather have my starting topology and the capability to jump up and down subdiv-wise... So, is there another way to do this, to project the details onto the base mesh on a subdiv-by-subdiv basis?

I forgot to mention that I tried using the ZProject brush, and while it worked in getting my details down to the base geometry, it seems to be designed towards projecting details on flat surfaces rather than onto rounded surfaces - Not projecting according to each faces' normals, but according to the first normal direction detected at the brush. While the projecting was fine where I first placed my brush, if that point was facing right at the camera, with such a bulgy and rounded shape as a hand, it makes it nearly impossible to restore the details, as you end up with pinches between brush strokes applied at different angles and so on.

09 September 2012
make sure you geometry>QRemesher (turn on auto mask)
and set the target polygon as low as you can with out losing the shape so you can get the basic shape,
this is your base low mesh like the steps i said above and when you subdivide that mesh a few times and project all you will now have higher and lower subdivision levels slider back to go up and down subdivision on your new QRemesher mesh

Last edited by informerman : 09 September 2012 at 08:56 PM.

09 September 2012
http://i.imgur.com/u1E0U.png

after some tweaking, i now have high and low subdivision and keep my detail.
image on the left is the low and the image on the right is the same mesh from the low, there both the same

Last edited by informerman : 09 September 2012 at 11:22 PM.

09 September 2012
The default demo head at the lowest subdivision is 3,592 and i was able to take the same head with QRemesher and produce the lowest subdivision to 3,590 and all so keep the high detail as in the image above i posted,
that pretty Amazing, not as simple as it appears but with a little practice and know how then it can be more promising

Last edited by informerman : 09 September 2012 at 07:22 AM.

09 September 2012
That's cool
In the end, I just used my base mesh and Project All along with some creative masking to get my mesh back to where it should be. And I wouldn't have found that function without your assistance, so thanks a bunch!

09 September 2012
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread