Lighting The Sails, Sydney Opera House Projections

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

07 July 2017
Lighting The Sails, Sydney Opera House Projections

CGSociety published an article on the work Luxx completed, alongside The Spinifex Group & Never Sit Still, for this years Vivid, Sydney Opera House projections. *We used Cinema 4D (of course), Vray, X-Particles and lots of blood sweat and tears.

http://www.cgsociety.org/news/artic...audio-creatures

Thanks
Tim

07 July 2017
You're lucky to be able to work on such an iconic canvas. Awesome work -*

07 July 2017
Awesome as awesome can be. Really fantastic work. Congratulations!

odo

07 July 2017
Awesome work, congrats!

07 July 2017
Thank you guys. It was certainly an interesting project to work on.

07 July 2017
That is really cool!
Where are the projectors set up?

07 July 2017
Amazing work!

I'm guessing your output resolution was higher than 640x480?

07 July 2017
watched it in-person over several nights from my hotel room on recent visit. *Well done!

07 July 2017
Originally Posted by artdude12: That is really cool!
Where are the projectors set up?

The projectors were setup opposite the Opera House in the passenger terminal. *There were 16 projectors in total.

Cheers
Tim

07 July 2017
Really amazing work. The video--was that actual live footage or is it a mockup with the footage composited in just for the sake of presenting the project? I ask because the projections are so bright crisp and clear! Must have been a powerful projector if so.

07 July 2017
Awesome.
Obscura Digital did the same thing in 2011, with similar techniques. Using C4D and touch designer.

http://obscuradigital.com/work/yout...ey-opera-house/

If you're a projection person, I recommend reaching out to them.
I've personally worked on at least 10 of their projects with these guys, but stopped short of taking an art director position for work elsewhere.

07 July 2017
Originally Posted by JoelDubin: Really amazing work. The video--was that actual live footage or is it a mockup with the footage composited in just for the sake of presenting the project? I ask because the projections are so bright crisp and clear! Must have been a powerful projector if so.

Thanks Joel, The video is actual live footage of the projections. *It was amazingly bright, they use 6 projectors for the large main sail alone.

07 July 2017
Originally Posted by TimC: Thanks Joel, The video is actual live footage of the projections. *It was amazingly bright, they use 6 projectors for the large main sail alone.

Thanks Tim. I figured it must have been real as it would have been a lot of trouble to go through setting up a mockup like that. The results are so crisp and rich--must have been quite a site to see live.

reply share thread