General question about high poly texturing

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

11 November 2013
Red face General question about high poly texturing

I have a few questions, I've studied in 3d modeling 2 years ago and took a break a bit too long and forgot some stuff, I started modeling again and got an issue, its quite simple but I really need to know. Here are a few questions, if you could answer them, I would be very grateful. Ultimately I want to be a 3d modeler for Ubisoft.

I am really good with with softimage, but should I switch to 3ds max if I want to go in the gaming industry ?

Do 3d modelers make their own textures or only do the modeling ?

When I subdivide my object in zbrush or softimage, my texture screw up, why ?

do I need to make the UV's after my object is subdivided ?

What would be a good polycount for an ingame asset for lets say, a medieval weapon ?

feel free to add me on skype: drmasterthief

11 November 2013
Originally Posted by popje: I am really good with with softimage, but should I switch to 3ds max if I want to go in the gaming industry ?

Yes, and/or maya.

Originally Posted by popje: Do 3d modelers make their own textures or only do the modeling ?

Generally speaking in the game industry the same people model and texture, but there are exceptions.

Originally Posted by popje: When I subdivide my object in zbrush or softimage, my texture screw up, why ?

Probably your smooth UV settings, but I'd need to see screenshots to know for sure.

Originally Posted by popje: do I need to make the UV's after my object is subdivided ?

No. For game work, you shouldn't be subdividing your low resolution mesh, which is generally the only one you need UVs for.

Originally Posted by popje: What would be a good polycount for an ingame asset for lets say, a medieval weapon ?

Anywhere from a few dozen (top down mobile game) to many thousands. Generally speaking for next gen or PC games you don't have to worry so much about hitting a particular tri count; just try and describe the form as efficiently as you can, and don't use geometry for details that the normal map could capture.

Last edited by Meloncov : 11 November 2013 at 04:06 AM.

11 November 2013
Thanks a lot Meloncov, you answered all my questions, except for the subdividing one. Here are some pictures:

(before subdividing) http://i.imgur.com/evoN4G6.png
(after subdividing) http://i.imgur.com/isGqxjQ.png

I think I know the problem, I suck at making UV's lol, it should be seamless right ? Even with hard edges and support edges, subdividing still screw my UV's, a bit less though

11 November 2013
Hi Tom,

Nothing is messing up or happening unexpectedly in your two example shots of before and after your smooth (subdivision). And your UV layout isn't bad.

That's just what it looks like when you smooth a hard edge low poly model...

The real question is, why are you trying to smooth that axe? and what does the smooth axe need UV's for?

- Bergquist

11 November 2013
I'm assuming you're trying to normal map the axe? if so then do the opposite in your workflow, model the high poly first and then build (retopo) the low poly on top of it. Use whatever technique works such as manually optimizing existing meshes mixed with some poly modeling.

Regarding polygon budgets:

Read this
http://www.rsart.co.uk/2006/11/20/h...iece-of-string/

For Polycount's Darksiders II contest, the poly budget was 1500 triangles, if that's what you're going for in terms of style then try to stick with that target count.

http://www.polycount.com/darksiders...weapon-contest/

11 November 2013
Originally Posted by Bergquist: Hi Tom,

Nothing is messing up or happening unexpectedly in your two example shots of before and after your smooth (subdivision). And your UV layout isn't bad.

That's just what it looks like when you smooth a hard edge low poly model...

The real question is, why are you trying to smooth that axe? and what does the smooth axe need UV's for?

- Bergquist

I was following digital tutor guide to make a zombie apocalypse weapon, followed his guide up until he transfer his model into zbrush, he subdivided his weapon then applied a texture, his texture didnt screw up (most likely because it was a bat) I did the same thing and obviously my texture screwed up when I subdivided.

Originally Posted by Psyk0: I'm assuming you're trying to normal map the axe? if so then do the opposite in your workflow, model the high poly first and then build (retopo) the low poly on top of it. Use whatever technique works such as manually optimizing existing meshes mixed with some poly modeling.

Regarding polygon budgets:

Read this
http://www.rsart.co.uk/2006/11/20/h...iece-of-string/

For Polycount's Darksiders II contest, the poly budget was 1500 triangles, if that's what you're going for in terms of style then try to stick with that target count.

http://www.polycount.com/darksiders...weapon-contest/

thanks a lot for the links, will definately look into it, as for my workflow, how do this sounds:

-make low poly model on 3dsmax/softimage
-transfer it to zbrush
-make high poly (without texture)
-retopo with topogun or w/e to get back low poly model
-make UV's on the new low poly model
-apply normal map from the high poly model on the low poly model
-texture the model

11 November 2013
Originally Posted by popje: I did the same thing and obviously my texture screwed up when I subdivided.
Tom,
You're textures didn't screw up. What you are seeing is happening in your geometry, not a change in the UV map. And its not a screw up or an error.
Its just smoothing the edge,
so where it use to lie perfectly on the rim of a the cut out hole, holding the shape of the hole, it is now averaged between the edges around it and moved a little away from the rim of the cut out hole, so it looks like the UV seem is moving but its not, its just the geometry not holding the rim of the cut out hole when you subdivide.

Because there isn't enough geometry to hold that edge, the same thing would happen to you in zbrush.

If you want to hold the rim edge of each of your cut out holes on the face of the axe when you smooth, then you're going to need to give them a reinforcement edge.
A simple way to do this would be to select all the rim edges of all your holes and any hard edge you want to keep, and bevel them. keep the bevel very small. The smaller it is, the sharper the edge will be when you smooth.

Use your original low poly for the low poly, and just use the one with the beveled hard edges for creating your high res model.

Oh, and your new workflow sounds perfect

Cheers!
- Bergquist

Last edited by Bergquist : 11 November 2013 at 11:39 PM.

11 November 2013
Originally Posted by Bergquist: Tom,
You're textures didn't screw up. What you are seeing is happening in your geometry, not a change in the UV map. And its not a screw up or an error.
Its just smoothing the edge,
so where it use to lie perfectly on the rim of a the cut out hole, holding the shape of the hole, it is now averaged between the edges around it and moved a little away from the rim of the cut out hole, so it looks like the UV seem is moving but its not, its just the geometry not holding the rim of the cut out hole when you subdivide.

Because there isn't enough geometry to hold that edge, the same thing would happen to you in zbrush.

If you want to hold the rim edge of each of your cut out holes on the face of the axe when you smooth, then you're going to need to give them a reinforcement edge.
A simple way to do this would be to select all the rim edges of all your holes and any hard edge you want to keep, and bevel them. keep the bevel very small. The smaller it is, the sharper the edge will be when you smooth.

Use your original low poly for the low poly, and just use the one with the beveled hard edges for creating your high res model.

Oh, and your new workflow sounds perfect

Cheers!
- Bergquist

thanks a lot, yeah, that make sense.

11 November 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread