CGTalk > Software > Autodesk 3ds max
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 09-06-2013, 01:53 AM   #1
Starlightlazer
portfolio
Canada

Unhappy CAT rigging issues!!!

Hey there fellow cgsocialites, I am having a big problem trying to figure out this issue concerning my rig. I am fairly new to animating in 3DS MAX so please bare with me. I am trying to follow this new tut on rigging in CAT, but for some reason my mesh gets all distorted when I add absolute and press the play button in the layer manager. Can somebody help this poor girl out! Thank you!

Old 09-13-2013, 03:01 PM   #2
DarrylA
Explorer

portfolio
Darryl Alho
Durban, ZA

Hi
By no means an expert but if you still need help, how bad is the mesh distortion and have you noticed if the CAT rig itself also shifts at all?
A before and after screen shot might help as well.
Have you scaled the CAT rig and/or the mesh at all?

Old 09-19-2013, 03:14 PM   #3
Starlightlazer
portfolio
Canada

Unhappy CAT rigging issues!!!

Thanks DarrylA, I believe I've figured it out. The CAT rig wasn't properly skinned with the mesh, was why I was having all these issues. I still have one more important question tho! I am trying to connect my CAT/mesh/Batman model with a cape on his back. Which I have built from watching this tutorial on youtube, and tried to connect it to my exsisting CAT/mesh/Batman model. However, every time I hit the play button in my layer manager the cape remains still, while to the rest of the CAT/mesh/Batman model moves. Would you happened to know what I am doing wrong???

Old 09-20-2013, 08:08 AM   #4
DarrylA
Explorer

portfolio
Darryl Alho
Durban, ZA

Wow ok Cloth is a pretty tricky one to trouble shoot without more info.
First, I'm assuming you want cloth simulation and that you aren't animating the cloth with bones.
If that is the case, cloth simulation using MAX's cloth modifier doesn't happen real time.
So if you press play in CAT motion the cloth won't do anything without being simulated first.
I'm assuming you have applied the cloth modifier to your cape and set up collision objects for it etc.
In the modifier panel you will have to hit simulate to get any cloth movement. Also every time you change the character animation you will have to re simulate your cloth.

If you can get hold of it try the Advanced Cloth Workshop by Paul Hormis from Turbo Training. It was a great help to me when I was learning about Max cloth.

Also play around with a simple plain as cloth and a box as a collision object to get comfortable with cloth sims before jumping into your final character. Cloth simulation takes time and often involves a lot of trail and error so it will help you to be familiar with the tools to some degree first.

Hope that helps.

Old 09-27-2013, 01:29 AM   #5
Starlightlazer
portfolio
Canada

CAT rigging issues!!!

Hey DarrylA, thank you so kindly for the advice. This is such a great source of information!

Old 10-09-2013, 07:15 PM   #6
ThE_JacO
MOBerator-X

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Raffaele Fragapane
That Creature Dude
Animal Logic
Sydney, Australia

Please, post threads in the appropriate forums.
Any Application specific question goes in application specific forums. This being a MAX one (CAT is only available for MAX) I'll move it there for you.

Free Maya Nodes

Old 10-09-2013, 07:15 PM   #7
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread