wheel suspension with xpresso

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

06 June 2013
wheel suspension with xpresso

I've made a car rig with Xpresso and i would like to make collision for that the wheels adapt to road conditions. I know, that it's possible to make it with Xpresso but i don't know how could i do that. I want a good springing as can be done with of the wheel suspension connector.

06 June 2013
Hi, this is something I've been looking into for a while.

For an Xpresso solution Base80 has a really good tutorial on ray collisions to stick an object to a surface, that's a pretty good start, you can just use 1 detector to get an up and down force translating into the suspension. You could also convert it easily using constraints.

I've been endlessly looking for a solution where gaps are taken into account but nothing really robust has come up.

cheers
brasc

06 June 2013
Unhappy

Originally Posted by brasco: Hi, this is something I've been looking into for a while.

For an Xpresso solution Base80 has a really good tutorial on ray collisions to stick an object to a surface, that's a pretty good start, you can just use 1 detector to get an up and down force translating into the suspension. You could also convert it easily using constraints.

I've been endlessly looking for a solution where gaps are taken into account but nothing really robust has come up.

cheers
brasc

Thannks, but i dont understand it... :(

06 June 2013
use dynamics and connectors. You don't need Xpresso.
Download the file, press PLAY and move the top cube.

wheel-suspension.c4d.zip

06 June 2013
Originally Posted by noseman: use dynamics and connectors. You don't need Xpresso.
Download the file, press PLAY and move the top cube.

wheel-suspension.c4d.zip

Thanks mate, but i have two problems...
-the wheels do not spin
-the car does not follow the path

Video Here: http://youtu.be/6tjlI9G76BA

Last edited by muszty : 06 June 2013 at 01:46 PM.

06 June 2013
How I can animate the DYNAMIC car travelling on spline or road..?

Last edited by muszty : 06 June 2013 at 02:33 PM.

06 June 2013
You're just trying to figure out how to make the wheels stick to a surface? If so this may help:
http://www.3danvil.com/raycollision..._on_surface.c4d

06 June 2013
Originally Posted by muszty: How I can animate the DYNAMIC car travelling on spline or road..?

If you want to make a car simulation you need to either know quite good Xpresso and very good C4D dynamics, or buy a plugin that does it for you.
http://www.c4dplugin.de/indexx.php

I have DRIVE and I can say it's amazing!!!

12 December 2013
Smile

I would say many many many thanks to AdamT for this link.
It very useful.
How did you find it?
If you have some other link so interesting (relating wheel, spline, surfaces...) please post again.
Thanks,
Franco

Originally Posted by AdamT: You're just trying to figure out how to make the wheels stick to a surface? If so this may help:
http://www.3danvil.com/raycollision..._on_surface.c4d

12 December 2013
Good to see you're still around Base! Base80.com is an awesome resource for sure.

I mentioned this in the 2nd post but have you ever found a way for wheels to detect gaps or bumps in a surface so the wheel and mesh don't intersect?

cheers
brasc

12 December 2013
Originally Posted by brasco: Good to see you're still around Base! Base80.com is an awesome resource for sure.

I mentioned this in the 2nd post but have you ever found a way for wheels to detect gaps or bumps in a surface so the wheel and mesh don't intersect?

cheers
brasc

I know the one point detection method is a bit crude but it does the job for urban driving and soft terrain :-)
It is not a real collision system, nor a real suspension system, it just sticks a car to a probable surface.

12 December 2013
You say it's crude, but it'd still take me a few years of my brain melting to come close

I've actually created a rig based on the 2 point collider that sort of works...
I'll try and develop it further and see if it's stable enough.

cheers
brasc

12 December 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread