Escape Studios or Uni?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

08 August 2013
Question Escape Studios or Uni?

I've just completed my first year at Bournemouth uni doing computer animation and I've decided that it isn't for me; the course and the whole uni experience. I'm currently interested in taking part in the VFX course at Escape Studios instead because it sounds like I'd learn much more here than at uni and it seems to have gained a lot of positive reviews.

I was just wondering, since Bournemouth's reputation is excellent in the CG industry, should I stay at Bournemouth or try Escape?

08 August 2013
Stay at Bournemouth. With the way the industry is changing and heading, there's a high chance you'll need to occasionally move abroad to remain working in VFX, in which case a degree is going to be pretty crucial for qualifying for visas. Additionally, the technical foundation that Bournemouth will provide you with is pretty valuable; having a good technical grounding definitely helps to open up employment opportunities.

You've already finished a year of the course, so just stick with it.

08 August 2013
There is a third option. Your issue might be that you are not ready for a university type education at the moment - you probably went straight to university from A-levels, and it can be a quite disorientating experience to change from one type of learning to another, and you might not yet be ready to make that change successfully. So instead of dropping out, ask to rest for a year - this will hold your place on the course in case after a year you decide it was the right thing to do; or if not, it gives you a year to think about what is possibly right for you or to consider alternatives (one being try to get a position as a runner; a few weeks of that may give you an insight into whether VFX is definitely what you want to do). I'm not going to dissuade you from Escape Studios if that's what you want (I'd advise trying running first) but you should know that the government won't lend you any money for their courses, so you'll have to fund them yourself...

08 August 2013
Hey there, i just wanted to ask you acouple of questions to see if i can help you!

I've just graduated from bournemouth NCCA Computer Anim & Vis so i might be able to give you some help.

What course are you on? Computer animtion arts or visualizations ( or are you at the arts college ?)

Also it might be abit of a tricky question but have you thought about what you want to specialize in ? tech based or artistic?

If you want to go down a technical route, i would highly recommend sticking to bournemouth. Computer Animation & Visualizations really focuses on produces TD's so everything you learn is so useful in terms of programming & maths and you'll find it becomes very relevant during your 2nd & 3rd year. However I must admit the course becomes very heavy on maths & programming later on but the assignments become alot more fun.

If your on the arts degree,the first year is extremely hard if your from an artistic background having to do maths + programming assignments & exams(if thats what put you off, dont worry about it since the first year was designed to give you a crash course in everything to let you find something you like). But the whole reason they teach you maths & programming is because of how useful it is. Even if you want to go down something artistic being able to script up some of your own tools to increase your workflow can be so valuable.

However it does get alot better in the arts degree as in the assignments get alot more flexible artistically and you wont touch any more maths & programming if you dont want too.

But as a breakdown for the two courses:

Animation & Visualizations : heavy maths & programming and focuses on TD Roles

Animation Arts : You have animation & compositing assignments instead of the maths & programming and allows you to focus on your artistic fields

If you have already done the first year, i would stick to bournemouth as imo it gets alot better in terms of assignment freedom.

I would defo fire off an email to Jahirul Amin or any of the animation demonstrators as they are all really understanding from a students prospective and would be able to give you some good information if you course is for you. I spoke to them alot when thinking about doing the MSC and they gave me some really good advise.

08 August 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread