Plain Effector

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

02 February 2013
Plain Effector

Hello All,

I'm doing a quick animation of some cloner objects coming out of chaos using random effectors then dispatching them using plain effectors. I've got 11 objects all of which display fine in the viewport and half of which render correctly. The half that don't render correctly start to fly offscreen then all the objects in the cloner suddenly dissappear, but only in the render, they appear to fly off camera correctly in the viewport. Any ideas?

I have a sample file, but I can't seem to upload it here.

Thanks,

02 February 2013
Have you tried to bake/cache your solution?

02 February 2013
Thanks Carl

I'm not using any physics, but I added a MoGraph Cache tag to test it, unfortunately, it didn't help. This seems to be a bug in C4D related to Render Instances. If I turn off instancing they render fine, but with so many objects in my scene it kills my computer and render times go up exponentially.

I'm trying some other instancing experiments to see if I can fix it.

02 February 2013
Yeah, what Carl said is most likely what you will need to do.

But, to make sure, let me ask you a couple of questions.

1 - Are you rendering your scene across a network of 2 or more scenes?

2 - If not, are you rendering your scene from the beginning, or are you rendering it out from some point in the middle?

Animations that are based on simulations and things like effectors don't use traditional keyframes to record Position, Scale, and Rotation values in the same way that more traditional animation does. In a situation like yours, the renderer needs to know where everything in the previous frame was in order to know where it should be for the frame it is rendering. So, if you start a render from the middle of the scene, the render engine may not know or understand where your objects were, and thus it cannot know where they are going. This is also true of rendering on a network where frames are rendered out of sequence across multiple machines.

The solution to that, as Carl suggested to cache or bake your animations so that there are PSR keys at every single frame. Now, personally I find C4D's tools a little wanting in that regard, but there is a free tool from TCA Studios called plaMATE that works exceptionally well, and has saved my bacon a couple of times. You can find it here: http://tcastudios.com/?p=151

Now, if neither of the above questions are a 'yes', then there is something else at play, but to know what, we would likely need to find a way to look at your scene file. If you cannot upload it here, you can always use a service like Rapidshare or Yousendit, and just post the link.

Good Luck!
- Will
OSX 10.10.5
C4D R18 Studio/CC/VizRT
Will's Works

02 February 2013
Thanks GruvDOne

That plaMATE plugin looks like it may have helped me in another project--a good thing to have moving forward.

It turns out my problem was caused by scaling the objects to -1 to make them disappear. When clone number 0 disappears all the clones would disappear. If I started from the other side of the cloner, or if I scaled down to -0.99 it worked fine.

I emailed Maxon and they already had it on file as a bug.

Also, sorry for the delayed responses. This was my first post to the list and they've all been held in limbo for review before they were posted.

02 February 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread