Study plan

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

10 October 2012
Depends how much time and effort you put into it, start with one and become very comfortable with it. I would come up with a benchmark project that you do in each application you are interested in. For instance create a certain object, character or environment and then start from scratch duplicating the same process in a different application. This will help you learn how to accomplish the same tasks and better understand workflow variations and issues you might face.

10 October 2012
Sometimes is not what you learn but in what order you learn stuff. I could start all over again
I would have learnt organic modelling before non-organic stuff.
NLA animation before keyframe animation.
Digital photography before learning lighting and rendering
Compositing techniques before anything about lighting and rendering

10 October 2012
Originally Posted by Samo: I would have learnt organic modelling before non-organic stuff.
NLA animation before keyframe animation.

Wait, why? Starting with non-organic stuff seems far more natural, if only because it's (normally) much easier. Trying to simultaneously learn how to capture a likeness and use the 3d tool set sounds like a recipe for frustration.

11 November 2012
There's absolutely nothing in your study plan about the most critical foundations of visual art, and if you go down that road, you're going to end up just like the rest of the rejected portfolios. The lack of foundation training/knowledge is exactly what is missing from 90% of all the portfolios out there, and it's the number one glaring weakness in most portfolios. Learning all that software and production pipeline will only take care of your technical ability, but if your artistic sense is terrible, you're still going to produce really weak and amateurish looking work. Polishing turd is what most people do in the rejected portfolios. They know how to operate the software and create detailed models, renders, animations, etc, but with horrible composition, bad anatomy, stiff and inexpressive looking characters, incoherent and ineffective lighting, weak color sense, clumsy stylizationetc.

You absolutely must study the critical foundations of visual art, such as composition, perspective, lighting/values, color theory, anatomy/figure, etc. In fact, you should be focusing on the foundation in your first year of study, and then as you learn all the software stuff, you should continue to supplement with more advanced foundational studies.

You might want to also read this: http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...f=166&t=1028244

Last edited by Lunatique : 11 November 2012 at 05:01 AM.

11 November 2012
Yeah, it's not obvious, but most of the time you will sort out not technical but artistic problems. If you want to become good at all those disciplines, you will have to learn tons of material - classical lighting, photography, composition, anatomy, sculpture, concept design, compositing theory, topology, painting for texturing etc. Then you'll have to practise it. It's an enormous amount of information.
For gamedev, you can model in maya, no big problem. Go with maya if you want to work in vfx. If you specialize just in hard-surface modeling, then later you will be able to switch packages in 2 weeks.
I think starting with organic is too complex, and it's a different kind of job. Learn to model environments, vehicles, game props of the current quality bar and higher. Look for requirements of quality for VFX modelers and make your portfolio appropriate for this position.

Last edited by mister3d : 11 November 2012 at 05:51 AM.

11 November 2012
Originally Posted by AllanonVFX:
4)FX.
I thin that this would be the best choose for working in movies.
I've watched a lot of showreels and the results are amazing.
But I think that this sector is the most difficult and requires a solid C.G. background.
I think it would be crazy to start with this, is this true?
The only things I know from browsing the forums are that it is better to learn particles before learning fluids, there is a lot of maths in Houdini and in FX in general, it is essential to know the "C" language and that it's important to know RealFlow.

This sector is not difficult to get a job in, Download Houdini do some tutorials > see if you pick things up easily. You dont need to know C or python to get a job.

b

11 November 2012
Thanks to all for your helpful replies.
Now, I've the ideas a little more clear.

Quote: mr Bob Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanonVFX

4)FX.
I thin that this would be the best choose for working in movies.
I've watched a lot of showreels and the results are amazing.
But I think that this sector is the most difficult and requires a solid C.G. background.
I think it would be crazy to start with this, is this true?
The only things I know from browsing the forums are that it is better to learn particles before learning fluids, there is a lot of maths in Houdini and in FX in general, it is essential to know the "C" language and that it's important to know RealFlow.

This sector is not difficult to get a job in, Download Houdini do some tutorials > see if you pick things up easily. You dont need to know C or python to get a job.

b

Really? And so, I could choose to start with modelling in Maya and add VFX in houdini.

11 November 2012
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread