Question about Mocap and C4D

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

10 October 2012
There's no difference between FBX and BVH in what they do on the mocap side, it's just a different file format.
FBX can be used to encompass more things, such as models, lights and so on... whereas BVH will only bring in joints and their animation.

As for hierarchies, it all depends on the motion capture technology used, so as Brian was saying, no matter the format, the skeletons will vary. Best practice is indeed to take one of the animated skeletons, then remove animations and make a Tpose out of it that will serve as your weighted rig onto which you apply the mocap data (through retarget tag or motion clips - which I prefer).

As for mocap libraries, it is indeed quite the challenge to find decent solutions.
I've worked with AXYZ characters and mocap libraries on a recent project and had some nice results: http://www.axyz-design.com/

But even here, I've noticed that their rigs didn't match between their various libraries (looks like they used two different systems).
Not too hard to make two different rigs to support this, but still a pain when you consider you buy from the same studio.

10 October 2012
Thanks for the tips! Makes sense.

10 October 2012
Actually the biggest problem is indeed retargeting, especially with different hierarchies, sizes and FK to IK rigs... Unless the file is really pro, you can also have weird parasite movement on your character that aren't really noticeable if you only see the animated bones.

Last time I had a short animation to do and I had a lousy mocap file (me and a kinect) which I actually only used as a "3D guide" to place key frames at the right timinng and locations on my arcs.

It was more like "tracing" than animation, but it did the job and looked ok, and the file was much lighter.

10 October 2012
Originally Posted by fluffouille: As for mocap libraries, it is indeed quite the challenge to find decent solutions.
I've worked with AXYZ characters and mocap libraries on a recent project and had some nice results: http://www.axyz-design.com/

Did you use their an(i)ma plug in for C4D?

Originally Posted by EricM: Last time I had a short animation to do and I had a lousy mocap file (me and a kinect) which I actually only used as a "3D guide" to place key frames at the right timinng and locations on my arcs.

Technically, I think that is more roto-scoping than MoCap... FWIW.

10 October 2012
Originally Posted by MarkInTx: Did you use their an(i)ma plug in for C4D?

I did a test, which looked pretty interesting, but didn't try to export from Anima back to C4D. I see no reason for the process not to work, since everything is exported as FBX if memory serves well.
It's a great crowd generator.

Reminds me I need to dig deeper and actually try a proper workflow with C4D.

10 October 2012
Anima works great with C4D, for simple walking crowds, or people talking, sitting (everything that's in the can). You actually don't import anything, it's all dealt by the plugin within C4D synchronising with anima. It also works as a cloner with a random color effector for you crowds.

It's a one trick poney (you can't import your own mocap yet, and you can only use their characters - some of which are pretty nice) but it does it's thing well and easy.

You can also convert to object to break the link to anima and only keep the character with the movement in C4D.

About the other example, it's not exactly rotoscoping as I'm not doing it frame by frame, it's more using mocap as a reference in 3D, to keyframe the extreme poses and arcs, but yeah, that's the idea.

Last edited by EricM : 10 October 2012 at 06:51 AM.

10 October 2012
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread